Tree saddles...Do I need a platform? DIY alternatives?

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy Roksliders,

Hope you all are staying healthy and safe during these unusual times.

I have decided to try hunting with a tree saddle this season. I have ordered the sticks and saddle already but I did not order a platform. Do I even need one? They seem expensive for what you get. I was thinking I can just use the top step of my sticks. Anyone have DIY alternatives?

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Poser

WKR
When I lived in TN and hunted from a saddle, I used rope on steps to get up and would put 3-4 around the tree at the top. You definitely need a way to move around the tree or your not taking advantage of the setup.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
It’s doable with a ring of steps or the top of your sticks but having a platform is worth every penny. I use the Ridge Runner from Out On a Limb and it’s been fantastic. If you have never saddle hunted, having a platform will shorten your learning curve and increase your comfort by a great deal.

paxamus

WKR
I agree with D.Rose. I would definitely spend the money on the platform, if you don’t like it or it’s just not for you; selling would be easy on one of the saddle hunting forums (saddlehunter.com or huntingbeast.com). The Ridgerunner is great as well as the Tethrd Predator Platform. Check out saddlehunter.com (for reviews and climbing and gear) and doublesteps.com (Eastern Woods Outdoors- great web store for saddle hunting gear). They even have platforms that bolt to the top of steps (they are smaller and not as comfortable for long sits) - Out On A Limb Solo Scout and Artisan Platform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
I tried standing on the top steps of my heliums for a few hunts and needless to say a Ridge Runner was ordered shortly thereafter. Much more comfortable and makes getting turned around facing away from the tree for off hand shots easy. Just get one and dont look back. If you decide saddle hunting isn't for u then sell it in classifieds for nearly what you paid!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
My experience with a saddle is limited to a couple hunts.

I can tell you I need some kind of platform or tree branch to take the weight off my hips.

I am typical of the general commentary on saddles, Big guys don't like them...small and/or thin guys like them.

I'm a big guy, 6'4", 240-ish and I'm older......even though I custom built my saddle for a perfect fit....it still pinches my hips making it uncomfortable after a couple hours on stand.

The other thing I don't see guys talk about....and I think its important is fidgeting around in the stand. I move a lot more in a saddle over a tree stand. This is a big deal in heavily hunted whitetail country where they can pick you off. I had an elk coming down off of a hillside pick me off last year. I was pretty high in a pine tree but the bull was up on a knife ridge looking down through my tree to the water source.

I tested mine extensively here at the house....and its fantastic for 30 minutes....but after a couple hours its uncomfortable. You can't beat these for packing 3 miles and 1,600' in elevation into a remote spot....I'm going to play with mine some more using an inserted seat of some sort.

____

Saddlehunter.com and search DIY plywood platform. I did this and made my own. Works great, is cheap, simple and pretty light weight. It cost me $6 for the primal edge step and some scrap plywood.

Don't mean to pull up an old thread, but I second the DIY Primal Step Plywood platform. Bought the 6-pack of the primal steps for $30. Do the "Cain-Method" and use the top step as the platform, and you're at 20+ft with a sturdy platform for $30+shipping. I was like you and didn't want to shell out $$ for a platform when I could just DIY one for $30 and it could also be my climbing method.