Tree Stand Harness Recommendations

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
So use have my attention. I wear a harness once and awhile. 52 and just always hunted wo cuz I hate em. I'm gettin older I hang all my stands myself. Currently 9 permanent, I have the big grizzly steps in and some r every bit of 28ft. When I do where my HSS I attach it pretty high so if I did fall it wouldn't be much. Will a RCH whip me around where I may catch a step? I know I could with my HSS also but I didn't know u put the rope under your arm like that and that u attach in front. But if there more minimalist maybe I would use it, cuz I should. I fall asleep in em all the time. The millenium m150s v very comfy n rock solid.

fatlander

WKR
So use have my attention. I wear a harness once and awhile. 52 and just always hunted wo cuz I hate em. I'm gettin older I hang all my stands myself. Currently 9 permanent, I have the big grizzly steps in and some r every bit of 28ft. When I do where my HSS I attach it pretty high so if I did fall it wouldn't be much. Will a RCH whip me around where I may catch a step? I know I could with my HSS also but I didn't know u put the rope under your arm like that and that u attach in front. But if there more minimalist maybe I would use it, cuz I should. I fall asleep in em all the time. The millenium m150s v very comfy n rock solid.

If your tether height isn’t adjusted properly, any harness could put you in a step. You’re more likely to fall out while climbing in and out anyway. I’ve simulated a fall in a HSS and I’ve actually fallen in a rock climbing harness. There’s no comparison between the two. RCH all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
If your tether height isn’t adjusted properly, any harness could put you in a step. You’re more likely to fall out while climbing in and out anyway. I’ve simulated a fall in a HSS and I’ve actually fallen in a rock climbing harness. There’s no comparison between the two. RCH all the way.

Thnx man. It must b easier turning from left to right if need be to make a shot correct?

I have an HSS but will be switching brands. I want a harness with a built in safety relief strap like muddy has. I can’t imagine hanging from a tree and trying to attach my srs that I probably didn’t stick in my pocket to begin with.

jhendley2

FNG
Kinda tough to get one with it hooked up. Hopefully this helps.
79fe706aa8357f9058c5419de41232c1.jpg

c8b5f208a5c9319e455c03434484cc19.jpg

Thanks man. I really appreciate that. Helps a lot. I have a similar set up but my prussik knot rope is just a lot shorter. I’m going to look into getting a longer piece of cordage to run to the front of the harness

nphunter

WKR
I use an old sala exofit, they are cheap used and I use a pair of bolt cutters and cut off all of the D-rings except the one on the back, I actually have one that I replaced the back d-ring with a continuous loop which made it very light and quiet. They have quick disconnects and you can pop them on and off in a couple of seconds.

nphunter

WKR
For those using typical full body hunting harnesses that attach to your back at your shoulder blades, simulate a fall(I’m talking about safely hanging by it) and try to self rescue. If that ain’t enough for you, think about the suspension trauma that you’re incurring in a short amount of time while hanging that way in a real world situation.
It's pretty easy to get out of a harness if you have a tree to turn around and grab or a knife with you to cut yourself down. I agree that hanging in harness sucks but honestly, even in an old belt buckle style harness, you can easily unhook the leg buckles and just drop out of the bottom of the harness. By the time your lifeline catches you and your hanging and your harness stretches you won't be too high off the ground and you can easily drop out the bottom of the harness.

I'd much rather take my chances falling in a full-body harness and having to perform a controlled drop to the ground than taking a fall in a waist belt and ending up with a broken back.

LostArra

WKR
I'd much rather take my chances falling in a full-body harness and having to perform a controlled drop to the ground than taking a fall in a waist belt and ending up with a broken back.
If I misunderstood your statement, I apologize but a rock climbing harness is not a "waist belt".

N2TRKYS

WKR
It's pretty easy to get out of a harness if you have a tree to turn around and grab or a knife with you to cut yourself down. I agree that hanging in harness sucks but honestly, even in an old belt buckle style harness, you can easily unhook the leg buckles and just drop out of the bottom of the harness. By the time your lifeline catches you and your hanging and your harness stretches you won't be too high off the ground and you can easily drop out the bottom of the harness.

Hmm, ok. Glad you have what works best for you figured out.