Tree stand height

OP
A
Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm fairly new to bow hunting (4 years) but I've hunted about all Missouri has to offer using other methods and understand that you can fool their eyes but not their nose in most instances. We are getting close to archery opener and I've got several stands out. (Different stands for different winds, seasons, weather conditions, and times of day) I was amazed at the difference in heights that were required for 1. Shot opportunity and 2. Avaliable cover. Some even required "artifical" cover where I've cut cedar trees and branches and attached the the tree behind me and or around in front of me to give me that necessary cover or backdrop so I was not silhouetted.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm fairly new to bow hunting (4 years) but I've hunted about all Missouri has to offer using other methods and understand that you can fool their eyes but not their nose in most instances. We are getting close to archery opener and I've got several stands out. (Different stands for different winds, seasons, weather conditions, and times of day) I was amazed at the difference in heights that were required for 1. Shot opportunity and 2. Avaliable cover. Some even required "artifical" cover where I've cut cedar trees and branches and attached the the tree behind me and or around in front of me to give me that necessary cover or backdrop so I was not silhouetted.
I love getting free fake Christmas trees on FB market or craigslist. stuff is indestructible

jimh406

WKR
I'd also say it depends on the deer experience. Some heavily hunted management areas back East have trained deer to look up. In that case, 35-40 ft is required, or hunt from the ground.

Yep, like I said either go high on those highly hunted management areas or stay on the ground. If you get off the ground and don’t go really high, you are just more visible.
there is no reason to go that high, in fact you are doing more harm than good with shooting angles. learn wind, learn thermals and you will put deer on the ground.

fatlander

WKR
Cover is definitely critical, as is moving at the right time. With that said, I think there’s a threshold around 25 feet and higher where deer really just don’t see you anymore.

In many of my fixed sets, hung in the 14-20 foot range, even with wonderful cover, I’ve been pegged moving at the wrong time. There’s been many times while in a climber around that 25 foot mark that I felt as if I could do jumping jacks and not be noticed. The stuff you get away with that high is undeniable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said totally depends on cover but my sweet spot is 12-15 feet. 12' is low but if you've got cover and sit still, it gives you a great shot angle at the vitals. If I am at 12 I don't bring drinks/snacks or anything that will tempt me to move too much.

Macintosh

WKR
pretty sure most of the trees I hunt I'd be up into a ton of branches if I was more than 20 or 25' up--not sure without a chainsaw and a bunch of time it'd even be possible in a lot of situations to hunt 30-40' up given all the branches and foliage around me for much of the earlier part of the season, even if I wanted to. On more than one occasion I have gotten up into a set and realized it'd be better if I was one stick LOWER.

*zap*

WKR
Killed the largest majority of my deer from 10'-12'. Many of those on pressured public land in Kansas/Missouri. After the leaves go you need to get creative...but it still is very doable.

I go up in my climber until I hit a limb I don't want to deal with or my bow rope gets tight...

FYI My bow rope is 25' for a reason. lol

I almost always try and climb a double tree when possible so I can use the other tree as cover and hang my bow/gun on it. Hunting a telephone pole in the middle of the woods has never been my thing. However I did kill my biggest buck every using that technique...lol

WildBoose

FNG
As low as I can get away with...and you can get away with quite a bit by just sitting still HA

15 feet is plenty high. Like people have said, you don’t want to get too high because the shot angles get super hard. I would say 10-15 feet is the perfect range.