Tree stand question

Maki35

WKR
So I will be hunting on private property with 15 acres. I want to get one ASAP because I want to have it up there before shotgun starts and will be leaving it up in will place all season, as long as it puts me in a good range where the deer are coming through
On private land, I perfer a ladder stand. They are easy to get into and out of.
They also make them in 2 man seating ladder stand. it's heavier to set up but it is roomy once it's up.

Conroy

WKR
In your situation I would agree with the others here and set up a ladder stand. You have to remember 15 acres isn't a big property to hunt. Be careful you don't go in there too much and blow the deer out. They will pattern you as much as you pattern them. Try to hunt when conditions are best if you can. I prefer hang ons for myself because I put them up and take them down each sit. I don't have to wait for a certain wind, I can set up fresh each time. Good luck!

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
I usually hunt a small piece of private too. I picked up a Millennium M50 hang-on this year. It gives me more mobility than the ladder stands I typically hunt. Comes with a quick connect option that allows you to set up multiple trees and just carry the stand from one to the other. Similar to the XOP stands with that option but it's bigger and heavier. Still, it only weighs about 20 pounds and I don't carry it more than a few hundred yards so that part doesn't bother me. Perfect for setting up in hard to reach spots like small trails and ridge lines where a ladder stand wouldn't be practical.

RCL

WKR
On private, I like to set up at least one ladder stand and have a Lone Wolf hand climber if I want to hunt a different location.

Hawgfan

FNG
For bowhunting I hunt strictly out of Millennium hang on stands. They are the most comfortable stands I've ever used. I rifle hunt out of a few different Summit Viper climbers. Really convenient to have a shooting rail on the climber plus I can cat nap in the climber pretty easily it's so comfy. :) You can never go wrong with a good ladder stand though on private land.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I like to have a couple of stands pre-hung at least one being in a good morning location. I like either a hang on with climbing sticks or a ladder stand. I hate walking into a spot in the dark of the morning while trying to be as quiet as a cat and then having to attach a climbing stand to a tree and climb in the dark but that is just my preference. So I prefer fixed stands for mornings. If I want to try a new spot in the afternoon I can climb with my climber. So my answer is that I like both climbers and permanent stands but prefer not to use the climber in the mornings.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I love ladder stands when possible. Lock ons are ok for bowhunting, but I much prefer a climber over a lock on. I can’t stand a lock on for gun hunting.

OP
Gunning5

Gunning5

WKR
If you plan on hunting archery next year I would suggest buying a couple hang ons. Maybe not the best for a gun hunt, but hunting out of ladder stand for archery isn't ideal (you are sky lined since you are standing away from the tree vs. against it). Since you are hunting a small private piece, don't worry about getting lightweight expensive stands/ladder system. The cheaper heavier ones are fine to put up by your self if you don't have to do it daily.
Thanks for the info man, I am going to buy a ladder stand this year and a hang on so I have flexibility.

OP
Gunning5

Gunning5

WKR
On private, I like to set up at least one ladder stand and have a Lone Wolf hand climber if I want to hunt a different location.
Yes that's my plan now. Buying ladder stand this week, and lone Wolf soon to have that mobility. Thanks for solid advice

Private land gets a ladder.
Public gets my lone wolf and sticks.
Will use a hanger on with new private but the stand gets changed to a ladder when you find the honey spot.

if you leave it up year round, pull the seats and any padding. Also expect to replace some straps from squirrel 🐿 if left up

Get a good harness

If you go with a climber, like a Summit, take a look at the Hazmore seat as an option. It sits you up higher in the climber which is good when bow hunting.
The downside is that in cold weather, your butt will FREEZE as it compresses your clothing and the wind gets you. An insulated pad works well there and solves that problem..

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
Tough to find a tree suitable for a climber in my experience. It can be frustrating having to pass on good stand locations because the tree isn't suitably straight or limbless. Ladders provide a good amount of comfort, versatility, and security in my experience.

Rich M

WKR
I don't like the stick & lock on systems most guys lean towards these days - have had that top stick shift a few times and am old enough to know that its just a matter of time, so sold that setup.

Climbers are nice, especially if gun hunting.

My favorite is the ladder stand. If given the option, it would be this. Feels safe & secure, comfy, easy up & down...

The shooting rails are sometimes springy. A shooting stick is better. Practice off the shooting stick a time or two to see what' its like and you'll be good to go.

OP
Gunning5

Gunning5

WKR
Thanks for all the feedback guys, learning so much reading your thoughts. Much appreciated fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I have ladder stands, hang on stands, and a climber. Of the 3 I like ladder stands the best. I don’t mind setting them up before the season and leaving them out till the end. There’s just something really nice about being able to just go hunt and not have to take the extra gear and time climbing a tree. I have 3 ladder stands and I bought them all used online for less than $40 each. Keep your eyes out and you can find great deals. Hang on stands are nice if you want to get way up in a tree but they are a pain setting up alone and require a bunch of belt/ratchet straps. Honestly might sell my climber I barely ever use it.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running ladder stands for 20 years, just put together another one to place on the back 40. I gave away the last hang-on model I had.

I would go hang on for sure, especially if you are hunting public. I love a light mobile set up, hence why I recently switched to a saddle. You could place the hang on on the “backside” of the tree and use the tree for cover and to Brace the gun against for shooting. Tons of info out there just listen/watch a bunch of different stuff and pick what will work for what you like to do.