Tree Stand Suggestions and Tips for FNG

FLS

WKR
Leaving a stand on public and expecting it to be there when you come back is dicey.
I hunt out of a climber when possible. Sticks and lock on if a climber won’t work. I carry it in and out. No need to advertise to the deer or other hunters whee you are. You need a balance of comfort and weight. The longer you can sit still the better your odds.

Headhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting public land, buy a cheap lock on, climbing sticks and chain/lock.

I would go in and scout a few weeks/month early... find a good spot and set up my treestand, then lock it upright to the tree (like when folded up), remove the sticks (fasten them together so you can carry them).

That way no one can use your stand or they’ll have a really fun time cutting the chain/lock to use or steal it.

I never had issues doing this, plus this way it’s less to carry and you can silently climb the tree, unlock the stand, quietly lower it and hunt.

Good luck

KyleR1985

WKR
Don't be afraid to hunt from the ground some. Less gear to carry, and allows you to be more flexible. You may consider spending far more time scouting than sitting until you start to learn deer habits and habitat preferences.

Summit Viper SD will be versatile, light enough and they climb very well. Add some stabilizer straps and you will be set.

You can find them brand new on Facebook Marketplace for under 200 easy.

All you need are straight trees with little to no branches to 20-30 feet up. If the trees aren't climber friendly then get a hang on set or sets.

I have a lone wolf assualt ii and lw sticks that I like but the climber is easier and quicker if the trees are good for it.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Lone wolf hand climber on public and scouting spots on private. Take a look at the sit-n-climb vs the hand climber, some like the sit n climb more because the seat wraps around you like a ladder stand vs the hand climber is more similar to a lock on: small seat and platform, thats it.

If you get a hand climber from lone wolf, get an upgraded seat from hunt comfort. If you get a sit n climb from LW get the hazmore replacement. Either way, you will thank me during those long sits (the stock seats arent very comfortable in my opinion) .

I will be the first to say after a few months of hunting out of my climber, it is a real treat to hunt a ladder stand or box blind on private in the late season.

Lone Wolf stands arent cheap, but a quality climber stand is really a buy once cry once purchase/investment. When I am 20'+ up in a tree, I want to be confident in the equipment I use. I used to use a lock on with sticks and a summit viper, just to much hassle and noise for my liking. I can silently sneak in, setup the stand, a get up to 18-20' in no time in my LW.

Another tip for public land - most do not allow you to screw anything into the tree ie bow hangers, tree steps, etc. Check out HME or Third Hand Archery products, love the bow hangers from those two companies. The HME hanger ratchets to the tree and the Third Hand hanger actually bolts to the seat portion of the stand (I know the LW stands have the bow rest in the platform, but it doesnt work for the type of bow I currently shoot).

*zap*

WKR
Using just the seat from a hand climber is an excellent way to hunt from the ground. You can set it higher than most chairs and it is light. Tree provides background for your silhouette. You may want to use a different strap so you do not knock it off by accident.

saintsfan

FNG
I hunt out of lock ons. Tried climbers but never felt comfortable. I typically buy the biggest cheapest stands and use them for 4-5 years then get rid of them. I take them down at the end of every season.

Appreciate everyone's input, does anyone have any experience with the XOP air raid or vanish? They seem pretty comparable to the lone wolf but at a lower price point.
No experience with them but ya looks like a knock off lone wolf without the price tag. Those would work just fine for you. Also you can look at rivers edge lite foot aluminum, good solid stand.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk