Tree stands for crooked/angled trees

picketuc

FNG
Anyone know of a tree stand company that makes stands for angled trees? Dealing with a lot of box elder trees in my area and finding a moderately straight one is not possible.

stump06

WKR
Lone wolf makes a lock on with some adjustment. Have you looked into Tree saddles? You can get into a lot of trees that can be difficult with lock-ons

mikear

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know of a tree stand company that makes stands for angled trees? Dealing with a lot of box elder trees in my area and finding a moderately straight one is not possible.

I have the same issue living in western Oklahoma. Even if the tree is toothpick straight, the constant wind has it growing at a 20° angle.

Twisted Timber Treestands were good for this purpose, but they’re out of business. I have their large aluminum version and the smaller steel version. I’ve set up in some pretty gnarly trees with these. In terms of packability, adjustability, and weight, these were one of the best.

https://outonalimbmfg.com/the-ts1/ makes one of the most versatile stands I’ve seen. The manufacturer says it’s able to be placed on a horizontal limb and still be leveled. This thing looks heavy, but for infrequent moving of the stand it would probably be very nice.

I also have an XOP with a similar offset bracket to the Lone Wolf stands. While it does provide some adjustability, it’s not able to do what the aforementioned stands can. I like having both styles of stands depending on where and what tree I’ll be hunting.

Here is the smaller Twisted Timber stand I put up for the first time a few years back. The tree isn’t terribly crooked, but I’m not sure my XOP would’ve safely fit there.

fea167dc15c1b8549a68bc0716570cbc.jpg

Climax tree stand will fit just about any tree,but they are out of business.Check classified ads and you may find a couple.

There are a few good ones out there that work okay for crooked trees. I would highly consider looking into a tree saddle system though. I was able to hunt out of trees I wouldn’t have even looked at a second time with a tree stand on my back. I was able to key in on areas where tree stand hunters couldn’t hunt on high pressure public land... where there was mature buck movement. They aren’t for everyone, but getting into tough trees is definitely a benefit of them.

CWECWE

FNG
Are you looking at hunting public or private? How easily can you access your stand locations?

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone remember the stands Jay Gregory (The Wild Outdoor’s) used to use/be sponsored by? Remember them being really adjustable, but can’t recall the name, and haven’t seen the show in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MN_Condor

FNG
I have not had a chance to hunt out of my DIY sit drag saddle yet, but just from hanging in trees in my backyard, it seems I could probably hunt from any tree I would like. I've got lots of freedom to move around the tree, the tree doesn't have to be straight, I can use limbs as steps, and it's lightweight. I'm not sure about how comfortable it will be for all day sits, but I've heard once you get it tuned for your comfort, it's hard to beat a saddle. I also have a Lone Wolf Alpha, the bracket on the top let's you set up on a pretty good angle as well. And there you have the bonus of a seat and a bigger platform to work with. Another plus with the Lone Wolf, is i already have the sticks for a saddle hunt, if I go that route more permanently. I don't have much experience with either system yet, but I can see that each one will have it's time to shine in certain trees or different areas to hunt.

T_Nelomz

FNG
XOP tree stands are pretty affordable and are designed to work with multiple angles. I have the vanish and the medium size one (model name escapes me). Anyways they work really nice in crooked trees.

Lone wolf is good for adjusting side to side but doesnt help if the tree is leaning forward or back. The millenium m150 has an adjustment on the base of the stand for those situations. I'm not aware of any stands that do both kinds of adjustments

Tree saddles have their place but for me nothing beats sitting in a stand, i currently use a tactisaddle in a LWCG 1.0 and it gives me the best of both worlds, itll be even better when i get my .5 hang on.