Tree stands on public land

I was out in the Utah woods (forest service land, not in wilderness area) over the weekend and found a treestand that had screw in steps screwed into the tree going all the way up to the stand. It looked like it had been there quite awhile.
Does anyone know the legalities of leaving treestands on public property year round? And surely it is illegal to use these screw in steps in a tree on public ground, right? Should I report it? I really want to... I've not used a treestand on public land because I don't want to hump the thing in every time I go and I don't believe in leaving them out there all year to "claim" the spot and figured it was illegal anyway. If the stand is just up there for a season and then it's taken down, that is a little more understandable. If there aren't permanent fixtures on the tree that harm the tree, like screw in steps, that's also better. But seeing all of these steps screwed in really pissed me off and made me want to relocate the stand to the nearest road with a free sign on it.

I thought I'd call the DWR to see what the legalities were, but thought I'd ask everyone's opinion as well. Not here to rant about it, just wondering what the legalities are and what opinions are.

Not sure if a wildlife officer could do anything with it as it may be up to the land management agency.
Thats an interesting question and report back what you find.

It's typically illegal to use screw in steps but I'm not familiar with any local differences there.

Folks leaving hang on stands up doesn't bother me much. It lets you know where people hunt and you can use that info as you see fit. I also wouldn't hesitate to sit in someone else's treestand if it's left on public.

I don't get the use of traditinal screw in steps though besides being cheap. Sticks are quicker/easier.

tntrker

WKR
It's the site of a lazy hunter if it's left there all year or one that has become unable to hunt anymore would be my guess. Most regs require any stands to be removed within 30days of seasons end, and no screw in steps allowed. I've never reported any, but keep a mental note of their location to use as an advantage. I usually keep a stand on public land, carry in my steps each time and remove it right after season closes, and usually up 30 days before season opens. Nothing wrong with that.

OP
H
Thanks for the insight! I'll talk to out regional office and see what the specific local regs are and report back. It's not mentioned in our hunting field regs document.

ewade07

WKR
I ran into this exact situation in MT last year. The tree stand had been there for quite some time, as the screw in pegs were being grown around by the tree. The stand itself was a good 6 miles from the nearest public access point, but only about 1/2 mile from private boundary. Pretty apparent as to whom it belongs to. We left the stand and pegs. I have zero doubt that it will still be there if i return to that spot this fall. Correct me if im wrong, but I believe MT regs state nothing is to be left in National Forest land for more than 16 consecutive days.