tree stands

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of tree stands, climbing or fixed are you guys using? I was thinking of getting a climbing stand for bow hunting this year. It will be my first year bow hunting and out of a tree stand.

Seems to be the norm here in S.E. Ga.

Craig4791

WKR
I like "The Leveler" by innovative treestands. Very light weight and allows you to fix it to nearly any tree. I also like Loc-On tree stands they are even lighter but have a smaller platform. I only use the Loc-On's for stands that I hike in real far from the trail head.

Both are fixed stands and geared more toward backpacking them in. So they might not be what you are looking for but both are great stands and Loc-On's are made in the USA.

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Summit climber and have multiple different hang on stand brands. Big Game, , Gorilla, Rivers Edge. I prefer the Gorilla, but they are all pretty good stands.

I have used a few, but have settled on using the Lone Wolf Sit and Climb with Hazmore Silent Seat for a climber, and the Lone Wolf Assault with 4 of the standard length sticks for a lock on.
The Sit and Climb comes in around 16-17lbs, packs flat, is silent, easy to set up and take down, and comfortable.
The Assault comes in at 20lbs, also silent, super easy to hang with the EZ hook, gets me around 20' with the 4 sticks, and allows me to choose whatever tree I want regardless of branches.

OR Archer

WKR
I've had my eye on a climbing stand from Summit. The new stands they came out with this year weigh 14 and 16 pounds. Perfect for hiking in to a good hunting spot.

Lawnboi

WKR
Whatever you do, get a Lone wolf and be done with it! Atleast if you plan on moving around.

If your on your own property and plan on leaving it up, then there are a lot of options out there

Summit's are light but an absolute pain to pack in cause they are huge.

Sticks and a hang on is definetly more useful as you don't need a straight tree. But climbers are nice as well, depends on where and what kind of trees your going to be in

Shrek

WKR
I'm hunting south Georgia and have been since 1984. You are not hiking far anywhere in south Georgia and if you want to see anything you are joining a club. Imo the summit viper/goliath are the best. Quiet , comfortable , and no nuts and bolts to come loose. Where are you at in Georgia ? Might be able to hook you up with a decent club. I've hunted clubs from the Alabama line to the Jesup area. Georgia is all pay to play. If you are a really accomplished SE Georgia whitetail hunter you can pound out a few deer on the wma's but it is a really tough hunt and will take a ton of scouting. On opening morning when the sun comes up there will be three guys in the trees around the scrape you found. You can forget about spot and stalk or drives.

I have a few. My favorite for super long walks in is the Lone Wolf Hand Climber. My favorite for medium walks in is the Summit Open Shot Climber. My favorite for shorter walks in is an Ameristep Fixed Stand with Rapid Rail ladder sections.

What kind of tree stands, climbing or fixed are you guys using? I was thinking of getting a climbing stand for bow hunting this year. It will be my first year bow hunting and out of a tree stand.

Seems to be the norm here in S.E. Ga.

TreeLounge .. Heavy ! Noisy! But rock solid and comfy

This late season

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357097592.399831.jpg

OP
CtP

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks fellas, I like where this thread is going. Lots of good ideas out there.

Anyone have much luck with ghost blinds? I saw this guy on tv last night, just sitting behind one made with Realtree Max. The blind blended right in, it was amazing, and when he got tired he folded up the blind and his chair and walked on...

Whatever you do, get a Lone wolf and be done with it! Atleast if you plan on moving around.

If your on your own property and plan on leaving it up, then there are a lot of options out there

Summit's are light but an absolute pain to pack in cause they are huge.

Sticks and a hang on is definetly more useful as you don't need a straight tree. But climbers are nice as well, depends on where and what kind of trees your going to be in

Thanks Lawnboi, good info. I will definetly be walking in on a military installation.

. Imo the summit viper/goliath are the best. Quiet , comfortable , and no nuts and bolts to come loose. Where are you at in Georgia ? Might be able to hook you up with a decent club. I've hunted clubs from the Alabama line to the Jesup area. Georgia is all pay to play. . You can forget about spot and stalk or drives.

Savannah.
I'm trying to keep it cheap as possible so I'll be hitting up the two Army posts here. I went to a couple WMA's last year to rifle hunt and spot and stalk is out, your are absolutely right. The see throught the brush, which was like class VII alders, you had to be in a tree.

this is my first year bow hunting, and I'd really like to have some success. Transferred in from S.E. Alaska and S.E. Ga is gonna take a completely different approach

Lawnboi

WKR
Id try to get up off the ground, it makes it so much easier to get away with just about everything.

Seeing as you will be walking in a ways, I would definelty go with a lone wolf, whether it be a climber or a hang on. The lone wolf stands are light and pack down to nothing. Lots of other light options out there, like summing, but they are huge and noisy when walking through the woods.

I have been running Big Game TreeStands and really like them (lock ons). More affordable. The Ol' Mans are great climbers. I think that Muddy has really got some things going on as well as gorilla but their prices are up there. I hunt private ground back home in KS and use lock ons plus we dont have trees that you can use a climber on!!! But I have one for early season wallows in the aspens.

J-Daddy

WKR
I have been running Big Game TreeStands and really like them (lock ons). More affordable. The Ol' Mans are great climbers. I think that Muddy has really got some things going on as well as gorilla but their prices are up there. I hunt private ground back home in KS and use lock ons plus we dont have trees that you can use a climber on!!! But I have one for early season wallows in the aspens.

Same here, stands are one thing I will not spend $200-$300 on because they tend to grow legs and walk off after you put them up. I go cheap on them...I do have an Ol' Man climber but like Evan said finding trees to use it in can be a pain...I've lived in western Iowa the past few years and they don't have many straight trees around there...Looking like the area of South Dakota I'm in now will be the same way. I grew up in Kentucky and we used them all the time down there but we had a ton of straight poplar and oaks trees so climbers worked great on them.

OP
CtP

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the ole man and it seemed like a good choice. There were alot of good reviews.

here in S. Ga we have allot of straight, limbless pines and tall oaks you can get into. I'm with ya' J-Daddy, looking to get into a stand for cheap.

Bluedog64

FNG
Millenium treestands are awesome. I had a summit climber, locked onto a tree on private land, stolen earlier this season. I bought a hang-on and several extra receiver brackets. I made new sets where I wanted, depending on terrain, wind, food, etc, and now I just pack my stand in (14 lbs). These stands are very comfortable also and just the right size for me.
I have sat in many different stands on the market and these are hands down my favorite.

One option that I like...The sticks from Muddy (light and packable) and a hang on from Big Game (the Boss). Sticks actually cost more on this one BUT leave your stand high and pull the sticks on your way out!!! They lock into each other and you are up and running with your stand safe!