Trees stands

How many guys hunt elk from a tree stand and what is your tree stand of choice?
I fooled with climbing stands years ago and they seemed like loud ,clunky ,finger cleaving machines!
Hopefully they have improved.
Thanks
Tim

I have never hunted Elk, but I can give you input about treestands. I am using a Lone Wolf Hang on, with Lone Wolf sticks. A cheaper option that has a thicker cushion are the XOP stands, they are made by the original owner of Lone Wolf. I am going to get a set of Mantis sticks by X-stands. They seem to bite into the tree more and also give you better grip and more room to get a foot on the steps. I just recently found Innovative Treestands. I have one of their stands and I think you would be able to put it in any tree that you would want to put a stand into. There is a lot of adjustment in the stand. The most comfortable seat that I have ever sat in is on the Millennial Stands. I use one of their chairs for ground blind hunting and can sit for hours with no issues with my legs or but falling asleep.

OP
T
Thanks for the reply.It seems as though tree stands aren't very popular out west.I may still give it a try
Tim

elkguide

WKR
Tree stands can be very effective East or West. Most effective when you have animals that are somewhat patternable like a whitetail. Definitely don't ignore them.

LostArra

WKR
This morning on my training hike I listened to July 20 Gritty Bowmen podcast. Aron Snyder talking about his move to traditional archery and using treestands for elk. I thought it was one of the better GB podcasts. Aron has hunting distance goals a ways past mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Tree stands can be effective for elk. I have killed two bulls and one cow from them.
Just depends on what kind of hunt you are looking for.

xziang

WKR
If you live close to the area that you are planning to hunt and have a waterhole or a trail to set up on I would possibly use one. Hike it in there and set it up well ahead of time and then use it come hunting season. I would use a 'cheap' stand for this though since you'll be leaving it there. (would have to check regs to see if it is legal to do it)

If you plan to take it in and out daily I agree you can't beat the lonewolf and the stick set up. I love that set up for deer here in NE, hike in set it up and then take it down.

aron

WKR
Aside from the initial cost savings is there an advantage to a hang on stand verses a climbing stand?
Most tress where I hunt won't let you get 2 ft without running into a limb where a climber simply just won't work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
I went up in a friends hang on; scared the shit outta me so I went into town and bought a climber. That little bar in front made a world of difference. If I'm in a new area I take an 18v saw for limbs but even then you need to be picky.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
With climbers you can get higher with less weight. Hang on and 3 sticks might get you 15'. I generally like to sit 20-25' maybe more depending on terrain. Any more than 3 sticks gets heavy and cumbersome, though I'm sure you could use 4-5 sticks.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
With climbers you can get higher with less weight. Hang on and 3 sticks might get you 15'. I generally like to sit 20-25' maybe more depending on terrain. Any more than 3 sticks gets heavy and cumbersome, though I'm sure you could use 4-5 sticks.

Not to threadjack, but if you want to get a little more height out of your hang-on without the added weight of another climbing stick, try hanging an etrier off of your bottom one. Some people might even do the bottom two, but I couldn't reach high enough to make a second one worthwhile. I made mine out of 1" climbing webbing and it gets me at least an extra 5' or so because it lets me put the bottom stick up as high as I can reach.

kpk

WKR
I use lone wolf hang ons and sticks also. They're about as light as they come, durable, and don't make noise. The seats aren't real comfy if you're gonna do an all day sit but I'm fine for several hours in them. A big advantage of hang ons vs climbers is that you can put a hang on in just about any tree that's at any angle and still be able to level out the stand. I tried a climber for awhile and I hated it.

rob_E

FNG
I use a muddy stand and 3 muddy sticks with home made stirrups added got a double stirrup on the first stick and a single on the other 2. I can get the platform to 20' with this setup. Everything pictured less the bag of rags weighs in at 26lbs
db7d448824e03f9095133b6d3cae2a66.jpg

TJ

WKR
I have a climber and a couple of hang on stands. I haven't used the climber for years.

If you have elk that are pattern able a tree stand is an excellent option.

In the areas I've hunted there are seldom few trees where you could use a climber.

My favorite option is a hang on stand and climbing sticks. With 4 or 5 sticks I can usually get 20' if needed.

fuzznuts

FNG
Treestands can be a good option for elk, I've taken a few by using them. Not ideal all the time but can be good if elk are in the area. I have used both styles but prefer a hang on set up. Quieter to get in and out of; plus it's hell trying to get a climber to the ground when you need to crap!

Wojo14

WKR
Just my 2 cents...
I hunt eastern white tail and black bears. I have not hunt for elk(yet).
I like ground hunting, but something has to be said about being in a tree. Calming, the views...
Any way, I like hang on's with the mesh seats like Rivers Edgs and Millenium. You have to wear a harness! I use the ultra lite one by hunters safety.
I only go 15', but put them stand in cover of tree limbs and such. I have animals walk all around me. It's great!
I do use a ladder stand and climbers on occasion, but with a longbow or recurve, the bars in front and the sides get in the way too much and leave you limited shooting options.
I do not see why it wouldn't be a good idea for elk. Just set up over a trail, water or food sources.
I will be hunting moose in 3 weeks in Canada and they hunt tree stands for moose at times.
~Wojo

LostArra

WKR
Just my 2 cents...
I hunt eastern white tail and black bears. I have not hunt for elk(yet).
I like ground hunting, but something has to be said about being in a tree. Calming, the views...
Any way, I like hang on's with the mesh seats like Rivers Edgs and Millenium. You have to wear a harness! I use the ultra lite one by hunters safety.
I only go 15', but put them stand in cover of tree limbs and such. I have animals walk all around me. It's great!
I do use a ladder stand and climbers on occasion, but with a longbow or recurve, the bars in front and the sides get in the way too much and leave you limited shooting options.
I do not see why it wouldn't be a good idea for elk. Just set up over a trail, water or food sources.
I will be hunting moose in 3 weeks in Canada and they hunt tree stands for moose at times.
~Wojo

To use a treestand for elk I think it's a matter of getting the elk patterned which is a LOT more difficult than whitetails because they can cover so much ground.
I think the locals and those who hunt the same area every year can get a good idea about waterholes for stand placement.
I personally enjoy the hiking involved in spot and stalk hunting. I come home from elk hunting and spend most of my local deer season in a treestand. I really don't care to do it in the mountains.
That said, over the past few years I've found an area of aspens where I've watched elk mill around before heading into a meadow at dusk. I'm thinking about hanging a stand there for an evening hunt.
It could be a complete bust but might be worth it for one evening. I figure the elk meet there because they get a good whiff of the surroundings before heading into that meadow so I may talk myself out of it before I finish typing this.

Wojo14

WKR
I'm not saying I would use a tree stand for elk, I was simply saying i don't see why you couldn't. Your right, you need to pattern them.
I also agree, I would like the hiking aspect of hunting elk. I can sit in stands at home.
Wojo