Treestand Jacket: Late Season

LK1037

FNG
Around here, late season temps swing wildly. I carry a range of layers depending on the forecast (merino, fleece, ultralight puffy(s), soft shell, rain shell) and adjust up/down as needed. My pack-in before sunrise can be a couple miles. Once in the stand, I’m there until sundown.

Pro: variable “thermostat”

Con: heavy/bulky, require too much movement to change layers while in the stand. When the temps drop below 30, wind picks up and/or precipitation. Worse case scenario, I either bulk up too much (restricting movement) or run out of layers and freeze.

Goal: shed quantity of layers/weight/bulk, reduce movement—avoid digging into pack, swapping/adding/subtracting layers.

Does such a jacket exist? Considering the First Lite Solitude or Sanctuary, Sitka Stratus, Kifaru Lost Parka as a solution to eliminate most if not all other layers.

Thoughts?

Scrappy

WKR
What state or region? Sitka fantastic top and bottom covers most all of November through the 10th of January here in Iowa. Layering is pretty much a thing of the past down to -10 or so.

Superdoo

WKR
Still waiting on clothing manufacturers to catch on with venting options for cold weather outer layers! Curious to see what this thread produces.

I'm in Western ND and rifle season mornings can start at 5 degrees with highs in the mid 60's and it's always windy!

Superdoo

WKR
I saw this on another thread recently...

It doesn't check my "packability" box, but does look like something a stand hunter could appreciate.

OP
L

LK1037

FNG
I'm in southern Louisiana.

December/January can start in the low-20's at sunrise and climb as high as the high-70's by noon. With that kind of a swing, layering is a crazy puzzle. Granted those are extremes. Winter temps can swing 20-40 degrees throughout the day. Our average winter day levels out in the high 50's.

I usually hike in with just my base layer and obsidian pants regardless of temp. Once I climb up the tree, I acclimate and start piling on the layers accordingly. Sunrise gets the thermals moving and temp takes a nose dive. However, by 10/11 am, the temp will often rise well into the 50's—unless we're enjoying a cold front from y'all up north.

OP
L

LK1037

FNG
So, any experience directly comparing the following jackets? bulk? heat? wind? noise?
  • FirstLite Solitude
  • FirstLite Sanctuary
  • Sitka Stratus
  • Kifaru Lost Parka

Sanctuary was too bulky and warm for me in NY/pA. It is super warm. Temps below 20 are rare In this area. Range is usually 25-55 for archery season thru the end of rifle So sanctary was overkill.

Got the solitude last year and it was a better fit and worked great last year. Great around 40. Warm above That. Took it to the 20s with some layers. Neither this or the sanctuary are truly windproof. My current cold to very cold set up for whitetail is a solitude jacket and bib.

stratus is a different animal. It is a soft shell with a fleece exterior. Very little insulation but you can layer underneath. It is very windproof.

all three are quiet. The two FL options are better for insulation and the Sitka stratus is better for wind.

I don’t have the kifaru parka but own first lite uncomphagre and Sitka kelvin light. The puffy idea is great for warmth but they are noisy. I wear mine as a mid layer but as an outer layer they have too much fabric noise for bow distance and probably aren’t great for rifle with 50-100 yards.

it’s been a while since I hunted south Louisiana but I think I’d go with the solitude Jacket. Maybe pair it with a soft shell for warmer temps. I tend to favor the FL catalyst in that role.

OP
L

LK1037

FNG
Sanctuary was too bulky and warm for me in NY/pA. It is super warm. Temps below 20 are rare In this area. Range is usually 25-55 for archery season thru the end of rifle So sanctary was overkill.

Got the solitude last year and it was a better fit and worked great last year. Great around 40. Warm above That. Took it to the 20s with some layers. Neither this or the sanctuary are truly windproof. My current cold to very cold set up for whitetail is a solitude jacket and bib.

stratus is a different animal. It is a soft shell with a fleece exterior. Very little insulation but you can layer underneath. It is very windproof.

all three are quiet. The two FL options are better for insulation and the Sitka stratus is better for wind.

I don’t have the kifaru parka but own first lite uncomphagre and Sitka kelvin light. The puffy idea is great for warmth but they are noisy. I wear mine as a mid layer but as an outer layer they have too much fabric noise for bow distance and probably aren’t great for rifle with 50-100 yards.

it’s been a while since I hunted south Louisiana but I think I’d go with the solitude Jacket. Maybe pair it with a soft shell for warmer temps. I tend to favor the FL catalyst in that role.
I hear you — and that's what I was assuming. Thanks.

For the past few years, my outer layers are uncomphagre vest + jacket then north branch to cut down on the wind — all that on top of multiple layers of wool and thermals. It doesn't get crazy cold often, but when it does, our famous humidity combined with the fronts coming in from up north turn blood to ice.

Mudbug

FNG
I’m also in southern Louisiana.

Keeping in perspective that I’m cold natured....I’ve been very pleased with the FL Woodbury jacket (similar to the Solitude) with Sanctuary bibs, layering as needed.

I usually carry them in and dress at/in the stand. IMO this is a great setup for our area. It’s warm and very quiet, and no problem drawing a bow with the jacket as sleeves have a slight taper and stretch. The bibs are a bit bulky, but it’s not an issue for a tree stand.

OP
L

LK1037

FNG
I’m also in southern Louisiana.

Keeping in perspective that I’m cold natured....I’ve been very pleased with the FL Woodbury jacket (similar to the Solitude) with Sanctuary bibs, layering as needed.

I usually carry them in and dress at/in the stand. IMO this is a great setup for our area. It’s warm and very quiet, and no problem drawing a bow with the jacket as sleeves have a slight taper and stretch. The bibs are a bit bulky, but it’s not an issue for a tree stand.
I was counting on the Solitude eliminating a fleece and a couple puffies.