Trekking pole extension for cimmaron

Hunter2

FNG
Hi, I have a seek outside cimmaron and I was wondering if anyone has used a single trekking pole with an extension as the tipi pole and if so, how long does the extension need to be? I have read a lot of posts on here about linking 2 trekking poles together but I was wondering if I could get away with an extension so that I could keep 1 pole free for use while hiking. Thanks

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
The 2 pole system works great or get the REI pole. If available a stick cut to length is awesome too. Can leave branches on and hang/dry gear.

tdot

WKR
For something like the Cimmaron, I'm considering replacing the last section of my pole with a carbon extension that would match the diameter of the mast pole section. As opposed to the extension that fits over the tip of the pole. I havent found those very sturdy.

Only adding the weight of a roughly 60cm tube. Should be very solid and I'd still have a pole to hike with.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Our concern with extensions and linking trekking poles in general is overlap distance. We've seen extensions that cover the tip only break tips in the past. The same can happen if you remove a section from one pole and clamp the tip of the other pole...all the force transfers in a short distance. Some have used these systems for years with no issues, but we have seen breakage.

This is why we introduced the trekking pole hitch - https://seekoutside.com/trekking-pole-hitch/

It's an inexpensive webbing contraption intended to clamp two poles together with plenty of overlap for strength. You could cut a stick and sub in for one pole, or take some aluminum or carbon but it'd need to be 3 or 4 feet long to work well.

Carlin59

WKR
Can’t help with an extension for a single pole. However, will share what works for me in this case. Tipi with two BD poles fastened handle to handle. Pull the poles each day for hunting, lay a log over the “deflated” shelter to keep it from flapping if its windy. Takes two seconds to pop the poles back in at night. I kind of like the idea of my shelter being down and less visible during the day. Also, with the trekking poles secured handle to handle, it makes initial tipi set up easy. I can usually shove the tip into the ground so the pole is freestanding, drape the tipi over it, and then just go around staying out the perimeter.

mt100gr.

WKR
I have a handful of the LBO pieces and I cut a section of an orphan ski pole for an extension. I can get a measure and a picture if you want but your shelter would have a different optimal height.

I have used this with a number of different brand trekking poles and never had any issues. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 50+ times pitched.

I also drop my shelter and use my sticks during the day, especially if it's windy.

bbrown

WKR
I have one that I picked up from BPWD that you can have just cover the shipping. Picked it up but don’t use it

Dunky

WKR
I haven’t used it in the field yet but tried the SO trekking pole hitch at home and it works great, pretty sturdy.
I plan to use it on my next trip.

OP
Hunter2

Hunter2

FNG
Thank you all for the responses. I really appreciate all the knowledge shared by members on this sight.

Moserkr

WKR
Ruta locura sells different sized ones. Just measure your poles when extended and buy the size you need. Use mine for a SO BT2 which is 55” at the peak. A cinamarron is only 60” i believe.