Trekking pole extension for tipi?

old_coyote

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a creative idea to utilize my trekking pole(s) as a center pole for my SO tipi?
I have Jerry rigged it a few times, but looking for something better. Needs to be about 6’
Used a log round, last year but those aren’t a given.

Thanks!

Have you tried taking the bottom section out of your other trekking pole and putting it on the pointed end to make the one longer? It works pretty well. Also they sell a hitch to combine your poles into one strong pole.

OP
O

old_coyote

Lil-Rokslider
I like that; I’ll give it a try. That also made me think maybe a carbon arrow with no nock or insert might fit the end too…

Would something like this work:

4ester

WKR
Have you tried taking the bottom section out of your other trekking pole and putting it on the pointed end to make the one longer? It works pretty well. Also they sell a hitch to combine your poles into one strong pole.

Be careful when it’s windy. Snapped my Black Diamonds trying just that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when it’s windy. Snapped my Black Diamonds trying just that.

Yea I don’t do it anymore actually. I like having my trekking poles when I hike too much. I bought a carbon fiber center pole and use that.

4ester

WKR
Yea I don’t do it anymore actually. I like having my trekking poles when I hike too much. I bought a carbon fiber center pole and use that.

Yeah me either. It’s a nice idea but not great in actual field use. Dedicated pole.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In our testing , it is far better to link poles using our trekking pole hitch than an extender . Extenders can break the tip of poles in high winds . Also , generally speaking the Cimarron is as tall as most linked poles should go … taller shelters you can link them but the poles are not strong enough for severe weather . One option is Heavy Duty poles … those you can probably do a Redcliff with well.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Seek Outside version (trekking pole hitch) and it works great. For $10, you are not going to find a better solution!

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I made my own pole extender to connect two poles. I took a 36" long peice of 2" webbing. Folded both ends over opposite each other and sewed the edges to create 2 2" deep pockets on opposite ends of the strap ( make sure pockets end up on opposite sides of strap. Sewed on 4 pieces of hook and loop 90 degrees to the webbing equally spaced to along the strap.

Simply put the point of each pole in each pocket and bind together using the hook and loop. The strap can just be rolled up and is light and doesnt take up as much space as a dedicated pole.

Simple diy basically just using scraps and 5min on a sewing machine

Edit : just opened that Seek product....basically the same idea as my DIY...never knew they existed, great minds must think alike lol ...I would just buy the Seek product if the price is reasonable.

Last edited:
I bought these to use for there intended purpose. Ended buying a SO Cimarron later. Connected the sticks backwards and added small Velcro wrap to each stick and ended up with an awesome adjustable tent pole.

Attachments

• 14F28579-30C9-4363-B2D9-A98733858CB9.png
    14F28579-30C9-4363-B2D9-A98733858CB9.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 21