Trekking pole recommendation

Mosski

FNG
What do you guys use for trekking poles? Going to buy a pair and would like one that connects together by removing a section to work as a teepee pole.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of PaceMaker Stix Expedition that I’ve been happy with for several years. Surprisingly cheap, somewhat on the heavy side, but very burly. I broke a strap mount last year (I was using them pretty hard), and PaceMaker were good about getting a free replacement sent to me.

The only reason I’d replace those is for something lighter, but I’m tall and many poles give up length to save weight. I’ve been looking at the REI Flash Carbon poles, which are still long enough but save 7 oz.

Seek Outside has a little strap harness for using two as a tent pole. Should work with most any brand.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have black diamond distance z or something like that and a pair of camp ones we got from stone glacier. I have no preference between the 2, whichever I grab works.

Gapmaster

WKR
I’ve been running Blackdiamonds for the last 3 years. No complaints whatsoever. Whatever you get… go with cork handles and cam locks on the extensions.

I’ve had Sissy Stix for over a year. As far as I’m concerned, every other trekking pole on the market is dead to me.
Poser, I'm looking to order some Sissy Stix as I've heard/read nothing but good things on them. In your opinion, is there a huge difference between the Backcountry PRO/ELITE/Z?

Poser

WKR
Poser, I'm looking to order some Sissy Stix as I've heard/read nothing but good things on them. In your opinion, is there a huge difference between the Backcountry PRO/ELITE/Z?

The elite and z poles weren’t an option when I bought the Backcountry Pro, so I don’t have a comparison. It looks like the the Elite has a different lock design and a longer section of grip. The locks on the Backcountry Pro are, by far, the burliest and easiest to adjust I have used. As for the extended grip, nothing a little grip tape wouldn’t address. z poles: Im not sure, but never meat a pair that I actually liked. I often make length adjustments based on the terrain as I’m moving so telescopic works best.

The elite and z poles weren’t an option when I bought the Backcountry Pro, so I don’t have a comparison. It looks like the the Elite has a different lock design and a longer section of grip. The locks on the Backcountry Pro are, by far, the burliest and easiest to adjust I have used. As for the extended grip, nothing a little grip tape wouldn’t address. z poles: Im not sure, but never meat a pair that I actually liked. I often make length adjustments based on the terrain as I’m moving so telescopic works best.
That's kind of what I was seeing, too. Thanks for the input, pair ordered!

Mruda1

FNG
One more vote for Sissy Stix. I love mine. They’re durable little bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Black diamond carbon for me. Saved up rei reward points and got a good light pair cheap.

I’ve tried these and they just snap. They are probably fine for a relatively lightweight user, say 165 lbs or less, for use on trail with day pack weight. but going off piste, especially with 50+ lbs on your back, especially with a bodyweight of around 200 lbs or more, and they might as well be toothpicks.

Gapmaster

WKR
I’ve tried these and they just snap. They are probably fine for a relatively lightweight user, say 165 lbs or less, for use on trail with day pack weight. but going off piste, especially with 50+ lbs on your back, especially with a bodyweight of around 200 lbs or more, and they might as well be toothpicks.
I can’t speak on the carbon Black Diamonds, but I’ve run the aluminum ones for several years without problems. I’m 6’1” 225 and carry significant weight with them. Wouldn’t leave a trail without them.

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’ and 210 and have packed lots of big game in Alaska and lower 48 and never broke one. They’re only there for balance and stabilization. I keep the load on my legs.

Raven67

FNG
Ive been using a pair of Black Diamond aluminum Ergo Cork trail poles for the last 4 years without issue. They work great for rucking, snow shoeing, trekking. Used them going up and down Mt Saint Helen three years ago. They handled the bolder field and rock hoping without issue, while keeping my ankles in tact. (They got worked hard). I use them for balance in rock, snow and scree after having a dual dislocation fracture of the right ankle tib / fib bones. Gods Quads carry the weight, but they help out immensely with balance in my humble opinion. That translates to more endurance and injury prevention. Working on adding adding a removable 1/4 20 camera mount for my spotting scope to one of the grips next.

Last edited:

KRATOCT

FNG
Anyone try any of the Amazon offerings? Trail buddy, cascade or foxelli? I’m always I big fan of buying quality top notch equipment but as a first year elk hunting out west, I have to tone it back somewhere. With the expense of a good frame pack, rangefinder sleeping bag, backpacking tent etc., it’s cheaper poles or no poles. If I break them or want nicer ones next year then there’s better opportunity at that time. Just curious on cheaper options….say under $50.

Poser

WKR
I’m 6’ and 210 and have packed lots of big game in Alaska and lower 48 and never broke one. They’re only there for balance and stabilization. I keep the load on my legs.

The most common issue I have seen with carbon lowers is snapping them in rocks: talus and screw fields. The other thing I have seen is coming straight down steep slopes, say 35 degrees or more, and they buckle. In beetle kills areas, they can be as problematic for snapping as on talus. Obviously, people’s experiences can vary wildly here depending on how rocky the terrain is and how much time spend off piste in that terrain.