?? Trekking pole Suggestions and input requested.

stephen b

WKR
Like the title states- I am looking for suggestions and input on trekking poles - both makes and models.

I never really use them, and except when I have cut sticks to use from the area hunting in ( for both shelter and as a aid with heavy down hill pack); so I really have no experience with them. I have used ski poles for cross country skiing, but even with snow shoeing, I have not use trekking poles.

But lately I have been thinking of getting a set for use when hunting with heavier loads and as an aid with shelter.

Any input on brands; models and pro/ cons with certain ones is appreciated.

Thanks

dotman

WKR
I have Leki, can't remember the exact model but love the cork grips. I don't think you can go wrong with either Black Diamond or Leki. I would recommend flick locks or flip over twist. I use aluminum but many use the carbon.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a couple sets of black diamond poles, I forget which models but they are both flick lock style. I am amazed how much pressure trekking poles seem to relieve off my knees and ankles, especially in uneven terrain with a heavy pack. When Luke and I hunt together, we usually take a set each going in, and then use one set as the center pole in our SL5 tipi giving us a pole apiece once camp is set up. We also have a screw threaded through the top of one set, which can be used as an tripod for anything that will thread onto it. We also use the screws fitted with a V style adaptor that makes a great shooting rest, or allows us to filter water more easily with a Sawyer inline filter.

IMGP0436.jpg

IMGP0537-1.jpg

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
Aron suggested I get the BD Ultra Distance Z-poles. They weigh just under 10 ounces for the pair. I used them for the first time last weekend and now I will never hunt without them in my pack. The difference is amazing with a decent load.

a693598f-762a-110b.jpg

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
My wife has the BD Ultra Distance Z-poles and I have the BD FL Z-poles. I like the adjustability of the FLs. The Z-poles both collapse down nice and short to put in your pack when you have your bow in your hands while hunting.

Aron suggested I get the BD Ultra Distance Z-poles. They weigh just under 10 ounces for the pair. I used them for the first time last weekend and now I will never hunt without them in my pack. The difference is amazing with a decent load.

a693598f-762a-110b.jpg

Is that Pac Beach?

OP
S

stephen b

WKR
Thanks a bunch for the info and great pics. Based on what I saw and played with at REI - I am deciding between the Leki Corklite ones ( Aergon I think) - which were the ones that felt best in my hand ( by far) and also for their adjustable ht. for shelter use; or the BD Z ones because of their weight.

Right now I think I am leaning towards the Leki's- I figure for my first pair, I might as well go with the ones that felt the best and the ones with the most adjustability of ht. I can always get the lighter ones later.

slim9300

WKR
Oh well then you're lost the mountains are east, turn right and give me a report on where the blacktail are for my late season high hunt ;)

Lol. I would rather hunt the Cascades for "mule" deer if I only had this state to hunt. Do you live close to the Olympics?

slim9300

WKR
Thanks a bunch for the info and great pics. Based on what I saw and played with at REI - I am deciding between the Leki Corklite ones ( Aergon I think) - which were the ones that felt best in my hand ( by far) and also for their adjustable ht. for shelter use; or the BD Z ones because of their weight.

Right now I think I am leaning towards the Leki's- I figure for my first pair, I might as well go with the ones that felt the best and the ones with the most adjustability of ht. I can always get the lighter ones later.

Both are good choices. I didn't see the need for adjustability due to my lack of experience with trekking poles.

phil

FNG
I've been using tigoat poles for five years and love them. They weigh 7 oz. a pair and are the only way I could decent with a load without killing my knees. phil

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I use Black Diamond carbon corks. REI for maybe $150. I got them at Sierra trading post or maybe Campmore for $100.

I dont like the tinking and metalic clickety noise aluminum poles make when hitting wood, rock, or the other pole. I much prefer the duller wood type sounding thud of the carbon poles.

I like the black diamond locks. Also when speaking of the Z-poles. Keep in mind if you may use your poles for a Teepee or tarp setup. They arent adjustable for lenght so dont work as well as an adjustable pole for those applications. But they are light and pretty sweet.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have used Leki twist locks but after a while the fail to hold the proper height. Leki is also making flick lock style poles as well, but of course they have their own name for the locking mechanism and I forget what it is right now. I don't think I could use a z-pole style after using one that adjusts. Depending on terrain I adjust my poles to different heights. Flat ground I am around 120 cms. Going up a long pull up the mountain it helps a lot to adjust down to 115 and then coming down I really like to be able to adjust out of 125 cms. It may sound funny but being able to adjust the 4" range depending on where I am hiking is a huge plus. Let alone the fact that I use a set to setup my shelter thus the weight savings for Z-poles is lost there as you'd still have to bring your center pole for your shelter at that point.

Last edited:
I use black diamond flick locks. To give you some input, I was 285 lbs last year using them. Without the trekking poles my ascents were slow. With the trekking poles I was an absolute machine. They allowed me to use my upper body strength as well as my lower body strength to climb and it made things 100% easier for me. I've also put a ton of weight on my flick lock black diamonds and they held up wonderful. My specific model is the black diamond trail shock flicklocks

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Leki twist locks but after a while the fail to hold the proper height. Leki is also making flick lock style poles as well, but of course they have their own name for the locking mechanism and I forget what it is right now. I don't think I could use a z-pole style after using one that adjusts. Depending on terrain I adjust my poles to different heights. Flat ground I am around 120 cms. Going up a long pull up the mountain it helps a lot to adjust down to 115 and then coming down I really like to be able to adjust out of 125 cms. It may sound funny but being able to adjust the 4" range depending on where I am hiking is a huge plus. Let alone the fact that I use a set to setup my shelter thus the weight savings for Z-poles is lost there as you'd still have to bring your center pole for your shelter at that point.

I dont think it sounds funny at all. I do some of the same. My Carbon corks have foam handles under the cork for quick adjustments I just drop my hands down or I palm the top of the handle. For heavy loads going down hill I lengthen them a bit.

Bearcat

FNG
I dont have alot of experience with trekking poles but just bought my dad the BD Z poles last week and he tried them out this last weekend and REALLY liked them. Like mentioned it takes the stress off the joints and gives balance all wich saves alot of energy. They really helped my dad out and the light weight was sure sweet of those things.