Trekking Pole Suggestions

archp625

WKR
I had a pair of Cascade aluminum trekking poles last year and plastic locking part broke when using as a tent pole. The locking lever did not break but the plastic collar did. I just saw that I can get the replacement piece for under $10.

Or should I get a better pair. If I get a better pair my requirements are cork handles, lighter weight, metal locking levers and to be able to combine them for a tent pole for my SO cimmaron shelter.

What would you recommend? If you think I should ditch the Cascades I am fine with that but recommend me some that fit my requirements.

Wassid82

WKR
Black diamond have been the best ones I've used. Started about 4-5 years ago and found them to be extremely helpful especially when packing out heavy. BD have never failed me however it took me a couple of failed attempts to get away from cheap ones

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What black diamonds do you have or which ones do you recommend? The sissy stixs look good minus the none cord handles.

I believe the ones I have are called distance flz or something like that. They are out in my wife’s car, next time I go out I’ll look to see if they say.

Decker9

WKR
I have two flz’s that look like this, from two sets. I called BD after the second one, they recommended the alpine carbon cork, and sent a pair free of charge. I told them I did use the poles for tarp support, and their reply was that these poles won’t stand up if used as a support. I have 2 full seasons with alpines and no complaints.

Attachments

• C292339B-F737-45CC-9590-257A413AA18D.jpeg
    C292339B-F737-45CC-9590-257A413AA18D.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 53

gbugosh1

FNG
I had a pair of Cascade aluminum trekking poles last year and plastic locking part broke when using as a tent pole. The locking lever did not break but the plastic collar did. I just saw that I can get the replacement piece for under $10.

Or should I get a better pair. If I get a better pair my requirements are cork handles, lighter weight, metal locking levers and to be able to combine them for a tent pole for my SO cimmaron shelter.

What would you recommend? If you think I should ditch the Cascades I am fine with that but recommend me some that fit my requirements.
Leki is excellent!

Wrench

WKR
Ive been trying to kill a 20 year old pair of komperdells since new. Poles are a spot I'd pay a few ounces weight penalty.

The sissy stix from peax equipment are pretty solid poles

I like cam locks better than twist locks. I want to try the folding style at some point, but for now I’m happy with what I have

EastMT

WKR
I have the black diamonds and Costco $25 set. I like my black diamonds better, but if you are not trying to blow a ton the carbons do great. BD are a bit stiffer, i feel a hair safer putting a good amount of weight going down loaded

Jimss

WKR
I got a pair of Leki poles for about 1/2 price from Sierra Trading years ago that has taken a lot of use and abuse. ST usually has great prices plus you sometimes can get a discount code.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a pair of mountain smith, they twist lock so no levers to brake, pretty nice. I bought the wife a pair of Leki, they fold up into probably 10 or 12 inch sections, nice poles!