Trekking poles a necessity?

BayouBen

FNG
Well, I'm going to go against the grain here....I hate them. My heavier buddies use them, but they aren't for me. Even on pack outs I don't use them. I like to be light and nimble and I find they just get in the way. Granted, I do keep them in the truck in case I kill in some steep rocky terrain, but that hasn't happened yet.

Pawvbow

FNG
Strictly a eastern hunter here, WV and PA. Thought it may be a bit ridiculous last season when I bought them for our mountains here but wow what a difference. I feel going up takes about 25% less effort and coming down takes about 50% less effort.

Poser

WKR
Two words: creek crossings.

When you have a pack on and the rocks are slippery, they are a savior.

And when the current is whipping your foot purchase downstream while your trying to put weight on those slick rocks. I know I would have been on my way downstream at least once or twice without poles jammed firmly into the river rocks.

And when the current is whipping your foot purchase downstream while your trying to put weight on those slick rocks. I know I would have been on my way downstream at least once or twice without poles jammed firmly into the river rocks.
Definitely went into the drink a few times because I thought I could do it without my poles. Probably can’t count the times I’ve done it fishing.

Don't like the thought of losing poles I paid for. But I have been carrying this willow stick for 3 years! Cut from fresh blowdown. Just right height for glassing with binocs on top. I make a new one for the downhill pack out each year

Attachments

• 20220815_101410.jpg
    20220815_101410.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 20

Randle

WKR
Not a necessity but nice to have i leave at the truck with the packframe. Sticks everywhere i hunt so i end up using a stick first load out.
If a carried them with me i would get ones that pack down to fit inside my pack some where.

cogill

FNG
Great to have for pack outs. Severely sprained my ankle a few years ago and they're were a huge help.

Must have. As others have said, they help immensely with balance when climbing, descending and side-hilling in steep terrain and crossing water. Load carrying is night and day. Study's show there's like a 25%+ reduction in impact weight on your feet/ knees/ etc. (from memory, numbers probably off...). Left mine at home last year by accident. Ended up packing out a bull 9 miles and close to 2500' of vertical above the truck last year. Had to find a little aspen sapling to cut down every mile or so, and broke several of them in the process. They give you a good opportunity to rest and shift weight while packing. I use Black Diamond carbon Z-poles, super light and packable. Handles are slender, and it's easy to velcro them together and grab them both with one hand for extra rigidity. I do this a lot if I'm carrying my rifle in nasty terrain.

If you value your knees and ankles... yes

that said you could probably get by without, but when you're descending a mountainside and have a heavy pack, they'll control descent and give you stability

I fall a lot less using them. So I consider them a very important piece of gear for me. I initally bought them as sort of a gimmick but then quickly realized they actually worked great. I use mine as a rifle rest as well.
I bought an accessory that connects the poles from Wiser Precision. Another gimmick that actually worked out.

I started using them backpacking and now bring them hunting. Don't usually use them unless I'm super heavy or in technical terrain but I always bring them. Just my 2 cents

Base camping makes it an even easier decision because you’re not carrying much extra weight.

I think they can be especially valuable hiking at night as you’re much more likely to fall/trip, and they can very likely save you a fall. Also great for the initial hikes through terrain with no elk (open safe brush) to save your legs for when you are where elk may be.

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
New hunter getting ready for a hunt in eastern wyoming. Ive plotted out some hypothetical routes in OnX and hikes with 1800 feet down and 1800 feet back up within 3 miles are common.

Would you consider trekking poles to be a nessesity, a nice to have, or a gimmick for this?
Necesity.

I’ll never leave home without them anymore. Even if I leave them at the truck and only use them for the packout. They save your knees and make you stronger and faster

KTK

FNG
Does anyone notice a big difference between a $40 pair or a $140 pair of poles? Is the price difference mostly just weight savings?

BBob

WKR
Does anyone notice a big difference between a $40 pair or a $140 pair of poles? Is the price difference mostly just weight savings?
No not much really. I have an expensive pair of lighter carbon Leki and a really old pair of aluminum Exped made by Leki. For hunts I use the old Exped and for whatever reason they are my favorites. Maybe because I'm pretty sure they are more rugged and I can count on them because they've never failed me?

KTK

FNG
No not much really. I have an expensive pair of lighter carbon Leki and a really old pair of aluminum Exped made by Leki. For hunts I use the old Exped and for whatever reason they are my favorites. Maybe because I'm pretty sure they are more rugged and I can count on them because they've never failed me?
Thanks for the info. I haven't used them much so I only have a cheap, heavy pair for now.