Trekking poles a necessity?

New hunter getting ready for a hunt in eastern wyoming. Ive plotted out some hypothetical routes in OnX and hikes with 1800 feet down and 1800 feet back up within 3 miles are common.

Would you consider trekking poles to be a nessesity, a nice to have, or a gimmick for this?
100% game changer. Started using them a couple years ago and will never be without them. Add some of those wiser precision quik stix and they pull double duty.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
My very first trip out West was with a buddy who had been going for years. He told me the things to buy and trekking poles was one of the items. I was really skeptic but bought anyways. First day there, didn’t carry them as we were just scouting. Second day I carried to try and although they were a little bit of a pain to get used to, I grew to appreciate what they offer. Next to the last day, he killed a nice muley and I had them for the pack out. Because of that brutal hike out, I never go without them. So I say yes, they are definitely worth having. My two cents!!

Holocene

WKR
Must for me. They help pitch some of my shelters and are critical for heavy pack outs in steep, unsure terrain (pretty much everywhere I hunt).

I can't think of a time when I was actively hunting that I used them. They are specifically for shelter pitching and safer packing.

Did scare off a cougar with one once though!

Jethro

WKR
I switched to collapsible rather than extendable cause I like them in my pack vs strapped on outside. Only use for pack out and extreme terrain. For those times they are worth the weight of carrying them.

I would absolutely recommend them. Especially if you’re a flat lander. No matter how fit you are they are amazing. I did a few hunts without them and tried them out on a hike and it changed everything. Being able to have support on down hill walks with a heavy pack is really the best feature. There are plenty of lightweight and compact options. Just stay away from the twist lock type. They will give you nothing but problems.

They are totally worth it. I did eastern Wyoming 2 years ago and borrowed one of my buddies for hiking. It was so helpful I caved and bought some of my own. The Costco ones work great and are cheap btw.

manitou1

WKR
They have saved me from tumbling on more than a couple of occasions. They also save wear and tear on the knees.
Are they a necessity? Nope. But I have turned around and went go back to the house to get them if I forget them. The more I use them, the more I appreciate them.

They are worth it. I have had the same pair of Leki trekking poles for probably 20 years. They have saved me from going face first down the side of a mountain with a pack on my back. They were pricey back then and probably need to replace soon.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
They certainly can become a necessity due to circumstances but if you do not have any with you then your screwed. I tend to not use them for hiking/training rucks because they make it easier...but use them for pack in camping or at least bring them. Training rucks I carry one pole set short in case I stumble or have some very uneven ground but do not use it 99% of the time.

ymmv

Last edited:
Don’t overthink it. Get trekking poles. At the very least they can be poles for the tarp you should carry in case there’s a crazy downpour that’s short lived. I personally don’t think you have to go expensive. I have a pair of aluminum REI poles that have lasted over a decade and Costco poles (bought for my son) that are really great. Carry two and just strap them to your pack. You will love them when you are packing out your elk or descending something sketchy / climbing something super steep. If you are going any distance from your camp, always carry them. If close, just pick them up after your first load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gapmaster

WKR
I don’t even workout with my weighted pack without them. Once you get used to them, they are great for stability, shock absorption on legs, will actually make you faster at times. Just my .02

WKR
Has to be the most uniformly consistent answers on Rokslide. My younger kids use them, their serious hunting buddies use them, I use them. I have had some Black Diamond clip locks for a long time and won't leave the truck without them.

they are a MUST have in my opinion for these reasons:
1) packing out heaving loads
2) saves a ton of stress & fatigue on your lower body & back
3) i don't carry spotter or tripod so i use one of them as a monopod to glass off of
4) use as center tent pole in SO tipi
5) use to support tarp to get out of rain or sun when glassing
6) can use them as a bidpod with the wiser precision quick-stix system to shoot off of in a pinch
7) Safety especially when side hilling or traversing scree fields
8) handy for river/creek crossings

Last edited:
It really depends on the trip. If I am in steep country, wet slippery country or am likely to be packing out a hefty load on my back...I MUST HAVE TREKKING POLES. Saves the back, knees and makes long treks easier...especially if crossing water.