Trekking poles; gimmick or gear?

The "burn 40 percent more calories" claim sounds like pure BS (and I agree that it would be a detriment, not benefit, to hunting if it were true). Trekking poles are essential gear for me for mountain hunting. I always take two poles and use one or both when hiking with a heavy pack. They've saved me from falls multiple times. Also, I plan to use a bivy sack + tarp on my archery elk hunt this year, so the trekking poles will also serve as support poles for my shelter.

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
Not sure where the 40% extra calories came from, but I'd guess it is someone trying to extrapolate the calories burnt by moving the arms, they've assumed the arms are carrying additional weight. But since we are carrying a fixed amount of weight and are already expending the calories to move that weight, it's not possible to expend more calories. (Unless we move faster) However since we burn less calories in our core and stabilizer muscles trying to stay upright, we should actually be burning fewer calories while using poles.

Like everyone else, poles are mandatory for me. But there is a technique to them. Everyone is a little different, but I prefer to take my weight in the straps, not through a death grip on the grips. I'm barely holding on, often a thumb and pointer finger is enough to control the pole. I'm becoming convinced that is one of the reasons that some guys break poles and others don't.

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
Pole are essential gear for me any time I hit the woods to scout, backpack and hunt. I prefer the type of handle with "T" style like a walking stick. I can put my weight on top to push down as opposed to the all day death grip on the ski pole style while climbing. Black Diamond makes a "Whippett" ski pole that can use as a small ice axe to arrest a fall or use as a digging tool to make a flat spot for a glassing or sleeping.

Poser

WKR
Legit gear. They allow you to move faster and more confidently through loose, technical and dangerous terrain.

40% more calories? I’d love to see the peer reviewed study on that one.
Gear. And if not a must, a definite luxury. I also run trail ultras, and once I switched to poles, I never looked back. If you swing poles all day you arms and shoulders will be tired. But they’re tired because those muscles are taking strain off your legs, which can help you go longer, or power up climbs easier.
But don’t pull them out for the first time when you’re at the trailhead for your hunt With a heavy pack. Pull them out and use them when you’re training, scouting, hiking around. You’ll learn when you need them, when you don’t, when they help, and when they hurt (e.g.brushy plants will grab em).

300wmxcr2

FNG
I wont go into the mountains with out them. At time I will only take one depending on my pack load, trail or not and steepness of the climb.
I've broken poles before and spent the time to find/make a good walking stick before continuing on, above the tree line that isn't a simple or quick task.

Felix40

WKR
I’m 50:50 on them. Some terrain is too steep, too brushy, or too flat for them to be useful. Generally it’s pretty nice to have one for a pack out though

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
I had someone else describe them as 4 wheel drive for hiking and I have to agree. Any time it’s slick or you have a heavy pack they are super helpful.

Gmark

FNG
I got a set last week with the idea that I will use them out west when I get there, but also here in Florida. I went scouting with them for the first time today (only took one) but it worked out really well - other than the very slight benefit of using them while walking on flat land, the purpose was to have something light handy for dealing with snakes, measuring depth of the water in the swamps and testing for sinking mud. With all the rain we have lately, some areas I crossed on dry ground two weeks ago now have 3 or 4 feet of water and the pole really helped me figure out the best route. Not your traditional used for the poles, but hey, they are multipurpose!

I always take them with me. I don't always use them. Hiking uphill with a load they are very helpful in my opinion. I don't like hiking downhill with them when I have a normal pace. If I am going downhill in nasty terrain with a load, going slow, they are helpful for balance.

KBC

WKR
I rolled my ankle pretty bad in the middle of some nasty blow down. I wouldn't have made it out if I didn't have them. After that they are a nonnegotiable item. Always in my pack or my hands.

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If trekking poles keep you from slipping/falling down and injuring yourself on a once in a lifetime hunt, sounds more than worth it to me.

I use the Sentinel tripod, which is sweet because once you're done using it for spotting or shooting, you unscrew the legs and they turn into trekking poles. Since you're already carrying a tripod, you now get the benefit of trekking poles without paying the weight penalty because you have to carry one less piece of gear.

Has anyone used their Sentinel for trekking poles?

IMG_3777_2000x.jpg