Trekking poles; gimmick or gear?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the costco poles, i've only ever seen them in the double pack. How often are they in the single pack? I only need 2, not 4.
You can also order them online in single or double packs

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Worth carrying, for me they help in hauling a load, double as poles for tarp shelter, can be jury rigged into tent pole, and they also act as the back of my camp seat. Worth the 16oz all day

sneaky

"DADDY"
A partner broke both of those poles on the same hunt. They use inferior carbon fiber, obviously for the price. I wouldn’t risk using them in the mountains. I’ve never seen a Black Diamond carbon pole break however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen several Black Diamond carbon poles snap. Carbon is good or broke. Aluminum is more forgiving, but heavier. You break a Costco pole you aren't out $150 like a Black Diamond set.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've seen several Black Diamond carbon poles snap. Carbon is good or broke. Aluminum is more forgiving, but heavier. You break a Costco pole you aren't out $150 like a Black Diamond set.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agree. I have 5 pairs of different brands of CF trekking poles, I’ve only ever broke one, and it was a BD Alpine Carbon Cork. BD charged me $42 for the middle section of the one pole I broke. Just sayin.

OutHeavy

FNG
This feels a bit like violent agreement, but all it takes is one pack out and you'll never have to ask this question again. I'll make pitch for the Leki corklite. Love 'em

I hurt my knee doing stairs with a weighted pack. Wouldn’t have happened with trekking poles going down hill

gexpro

WKR
found this sports science article and the use of trekking poles. Everyone who says they don't need or want to use trekking poles might want to reconsider how much they benefit your body especially when carrying a heavy pack.

a lot of other interesting facts and articles out there on the web, go check it out.
  • Fewer injuries. Poles reduce the risk of injury and tendonitis in knees, calves, thighs, and even hips, according to Michael Torry, Ph.D., director of biomechanics research at Steadman-Hawkins. Trekking poles also allow hikers to keep a more normal stride and a faster pace with less effort.
  • Less pounding. Up to 4.4 percent of the force that reverberates through your body with each step is absorbed by the poles. After a long day and thousands of steps, that support adds up.
  • Relief for ailing knees and joints. Dr. Torry says that angling the tips of your poles forward slightly can reduce the compression in your joints as you hike downhill. When hiking uphill, angle the poles backward for an extra boost and reduced ankle stress.
  • Fewer face plants. While researchers didn't test stability, they agree with what many backpackers already know: Four legs are better than two on uneven terrain.
  • Less fatigue. According to Christopher Knight, Ph.D., who led the study at the University of Massachusetts, properly used poles (see "Proper Pole Use" below) reduce the workload for lower-body muscles and joints by transferring some of the load from your legs to your arms. Subjects in Dr. Knight's study (who hiked with loaded packs for an hour on a treadmill) said the trek felt easier with poles.

Spiegel

FNG
If it matters the cascade mountain is having a 20% off labor day sale. Cheap enough to at least try out if you like them or not

cbeard64

WKR
My guess is those leaning against them haven’t put them to use in the mountains.
I doubt that even 2% of the people who try them don’t consider them a necessity from that point on.

Wasn't able to find the Costco Poles on their website? Is there a brand name? Thinking I may be able to find them somewhere else for a reasonable price.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wasn't able to find the Costco Poles on their website? Is there a brand name? Thinking I may be able to find them somewhere else for a reasonable price.
Here you go
ac690a98022d5d961861743964f06012.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

kaboku68

WKR
You can travel much faster on the trail with them. They can serve as a rest in the open country. They are critical if you are on glacial terrain. Four points of contact are better than two. They are also really good for packing heavy loads and beating through the underbrush.

DigDug

FNG
A big help for my knees, whether I'm carrying a heavy pack or not. I've had mine for over 20 years now... just some old aluminum ski poles I cut to size. Only $1 from a goodwill store. Best gear investment I've ever made. Yeah, they don't fold or collapse, and are heavier than carbon, but I never worry about babying them or getting them beat up on rocks.