Trekking poles; gimmick or gear?

One of the advertised selling points of trekking poles that gives me pause is this statement: Burn 40 percent more calories! From a hunting standpoint how can that be a benefit? But I have heard good things as well. I'd like to hear from those of you who have tried them and liked them as well as those who've ditched them.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

bcnorth

FNG
Interesting, wouldnt guess it burns more because it makes hiking up and down hills easier. It saves the knees when coming down hills and provides overall stability when walking anywhere. It saves you from falling and best of all, creek crossings are much safer and easier with poles. You can also use them in a pinch for a shooting rest.

Particularly when the backpack is heavily loaded i couldnt imagine ever going without them again. I prefer two poles over 1 and have my gun mounted to my pack using the kifaru gun bearer
GEAR!

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I don’t know about burning 40 percent more calories but for me trekking poles are a must. Anytime you’re in an aggressive climb, or heavy load, trekking poles are worth their weight in gold! Multiple times on heavy pack outs I probably would’ve rolled an ankle badly if it weren’t for trekking poles. They help stabilize you going over uneven terrain and if you do step on something you shouldn’t you can transfer enough weight to your hands to at least catch yourself and reposition your feet.
They’ve also saved me from falling on my face when feet slip out. Must have for mountain hunting imo.

Legend

WKR
I never do an overnight trip without them. And I can't think of the last time I packed meat without poles.

Essential Gear

dtrkyman

WKR
A must in tough terrain and carrying weight!

Game changer in those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Love 'em! Downhilling, sidehilling, crossing streams. I don't get how they burn more calories, seems like a farce, but they're great.

OP
W
Looks like I need to try them. FWIW I have hunted 25 without them so I guess I don't know what I'm missing out on. I have helped backpack plenty of elk out of the mountains of Idaho over that time (not all mine, mind you) and I thought you were supposed to break your fall with your bow?

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Nicodez

FNG
I was a skeptic, but now I never hit the trail without them!

I have used them for decades. I have a very light pair that folds. One or both is sometimes in my pack while moving if I am carrying a bow or rifle. Once I have an animal in the pack they always come out.

rclouse79

WKR
I wished I had left them in the truck every unsuccessful trip I have ever had. I wouldn’t have made it off the mountain packing my bear without them. I guess it depends if you plan to fill your tag or not.

muddydogs

WKR
I don't like them, I tried to like them and I just don't. I figure it's the 20 years I worked in the woods without them having my hands free to grab stuff. I find poles are just something else to deal with and take up hand space, they bang on rocks and brush. I just don't see the point of them, can't see where they really help going up or down slope. About the only time poles are worth a darn is water crossings but a stick can usually be found for the job then left when not needed,

Trekking poles are not even gear to me they are an absolute must. They saved my butt on a few occasions by keeping me from falling in the dark as well as allowing me to hike faster. You don’t need to spend a lot of money either. I bought some at Walmart for like $25. Some of the beat money I have spent for hunting.