Trekking poles; gimmick or gear?

Poser

WKR
I'm a bowhunter. How do you deal with poles and a bow? And don't tell me to strap the bow onto my backpack because things happen quick and I haven't seen anyone yet who has successfully harvested an elk with a trekking pole.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

I quite Bow hunting in 2014 after a number of years, some of them exclusive archery years, pretty much because it’s just too delicate of a weapon: I kept falling on it, snagging it on everything etc. that being said, I used poles and would just play every situation accordingly: bow strapped to pack + 2 poles, bow in hand + 1 pole, both poles put away, etc. if you use a shelter that needs poles anyway, it justifies their presence even when not in use.

I'm a bowhunter. How do you deal with poles and a bow? And don't tell me to strap the bow onto my backpack because things happen quick and I haven't seen anyone yet who has successfully harvested an elk with a trekking pole.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

I pretty much only use them when packing heavy- in/out from base camp, out with meat.
Keep them strapped to your pack until you need them and your bow at the ready.

RCB

WKR
There’s no way carrying trekking poles causes you to burn 40% more calories.

I use them for off path hiking for stability and to share the load between my arms and legs when climbing over deadfall, big rocks, steep chutes, etc.. They are a must have for hauling elk quarters in the mountains.

If you are just swinging them on a groomed trail not putting your arms to work.. put them back in your pack.

neut

FNG
Definitely gear. Especially handy for crossing creeks/rivers for finding footing etc. Come in especially handy when hiking steep downhill/shale faces with a heavy pack on.

LostArra

WKR
A trekking pole (or 2) is always strapped to my pack. I primarily use them for packing meat out.

My bow is always in my hand. Too many times I have been surprised by walking on to a small group of elk, usually bedded.

A trekking pole is also nice for a quick tarp setup to glass in the rain.

Voyageur

WKR
Does anyone just use walking sticks that you find and cut to size? The reason I ask is that's what I've been doing, but wonder if there is something that makes dedicated trekking poles better? It sure is nice to just ditch the sticks when your done with them and not having to worry about another piece of gear.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
I used "natural" walking sticks for a several years. In my mind what makes trekking poles better is their length adjustability. The wrist straps are also a big plus because they allow me to relax my grip on the pole. Over the course of a long day (and the older I get) that becomes a big plus for me.

mtnkid85

WKR
Yep, I use the heck out of them. They are nice to glass off of during a quick sit. I keep them in my pack during the day while hunting and will sometimes pull them out for the hike out at night with my bow strapped to the pack. And of course they are indispensable while packing meat.

*zap*

WKR
I think they are very good for hunting but not that good for training unless your trail hiking a very heavy load for training, not in the best physical condition and you really need them for just hiking or carrying a light load.....I guess that would also depend on the volume you are doing.

Last edited:
I was skeptical about them, but they’re pretty nice when using them to pack out heavy loads. They stay strapped to the pack during legal shooting hours. They are useful for pitching a tarp or teepee, and as improvised shooting sticks too.

They are for sure a must have. They do take a little bit to get used to, but after you do they are definitely worth it.

TheGDog

WKR
Trekking poles... because having a slip and fall when you cross a relatively minor creek makes for a bad bad day...

P.S. be sure to get the kind which break down into 3-sections. They fit much better into your pack and don't stick up all high and catch on things when you're trying to go under fallen trees and such.12-27-2015 2-56-24 PM.jpgWP_20160105_001.jpg

Trekking poles... because having a slip and fall when you cross a relatively minor creek makes for a bad bad day...

P.S. be sure to get the kind which break down into 3-sections. They fit much better into your pack and don't stick up all high and catch on things when you're trying to go under fallen trees and such.View attachment 190722View attachment 190724
I know it probably goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway....ouch!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, ouch. Those poles that break down into 3 pieces aren't nearly as strong as the regular poles. They're ok for groomed trails but I've seen those things snap on gnarly off trail stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just hauled 50lb up and down a 200’ hillside several time with one pole. I am buying a pair. I could see it saving ur knees on the downhill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk