Trekking poles; gimmick or gear?

I hated my poles the first three or four outings. They felt cumbersome and got in the way. I never leave home without them now. Makes climbing much easier. Feel more stable. After some time you start to rely on them. I just leave them in my truck since it’s always going with me.

found this sports science article and the use of trekking poles. Everyone who says they don't need or want to use trekking poles might want to reconsider how much they benefit your body especially when carrying a heavy pack.

a lot of other interesting facts and articles out there on the web, go check it out.
  • Fewer injuries. Poles reduce the risk of injury and tendonitis in knees, calves, thighs, and even hips, according to Michael Torry, Ph.D., director of biomechanics research at Steadman-Hawkins. Trekking poles also allow hikers to keep a more normal stride and a faster pace with less effort.
  • Less pounding. Up to 4.4 percent of the force that reverberates through your body with each step is absorbed by the poles. After a long day and thousands of steps, that support adds up.
  • Relief for ailing knees and joints. Dr. Torry says that angling the tips of your poles forward slightly can reduce the compression in your joints as you hike downhill. When hiking uphill, angle the poles backward for an extra boost and reduced ankle stress.
  • Fewer face plants. While researchers didn't test stability, they agree with what many backpackers already know: Four legs are better than two on uneven terrain.
  • Less fatigue. According to Christopher Knight, Ph.D., who led the study at the University of Massachusetts, properly used poles (see "Proper Pole Use" below) reduce the workload for lower-body muscles and joints by transferring some of the load from your legs to your arms. Subjects in Dr. Knight's study (who hiked with loaded packs for an hour on a treadmill) said the trek felt easier with poles.
they take a lil room but on a pack out they are well worth it

This was my first year hunting with a trekking pole. It was a little awkward at first but I won't ever hunt without one again. It made traversing up and down so much easier. I was also able to be much quieter when going through deadfall.

Rwolf

FNG
First time trying them this year for me also. I did not use both but one was a great help especially when side hilling. They also are a great help transversing streams.

I am in the dont leave home without them camp. They saved me aa few critical times and now I’m sold.
My set weighs almost nothing leaving me with no reason not to take them.
Some people make a lot of noise with poles but that is a hiker specific problem.

Cg_7

FNG
Such a game changer, make you way more efficient! Plus just gives you extra stability on slippery areas

Midas06

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone tried the Stealth Pod X? I plan on getting some for this fall's hunt, unless I hear some poor reviews. Seems like these would take the place of 3 items that I am having to carry and that can't be a bad thing.
Did you end up purchasing some? If not I may be interested in selling my set.

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
I did purchase them. They worked as advertised and I used them extensively. Definitely spendy, but worth it in my opinion.

TK177

FNG
Super useful, loaded pack on uneven surfaces they really help. All those nerds who hike for fun for miles and miles don't use them cause they look cool. Can help with tarps or shooting rests too.

I never had a desire to use trekking poles for any of the (mostly summer) backpacking I've done.

However, I am so glad I bought a pair before my hunt last year. My chances of injury would have skyrocketed without them on my pack out. Heavy pack, slick conditions, exhaustion - all can easily contribute to mistakes and injuries. I'm going to keep packing them in on hunting trips without a doubt.

mcseal2

WKR
I use the leki ones kuiu sells. They fold up to go in my pack during the actively hunting parts when I’m stalking or even moving through game country. I use them during the hikes into and out of that country, or any time my pack is heavy, I’m sidehilling, crossing water, etc. They also make a good quick rifle or bino rest. Great for a shelter or glassing tarp set-up too with my poncho or a tarp. I usually take a tarp of some sort, size and shape depending on the hunt. .

Times I don’t take them I usually take my promaster 525 tripod with the removable lef that makes a pole in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk