Trekking Poles Opinions

I am looking basically at the ones available from Cabela's since I have some points to use. They have flicklock type, shock type and Z Poles. What are your thoughts on carbon vs. aluminum, shock vs. no shock, and fixed vs. adjustable? I have never owned any and would like to get something decent right out of the gate.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have owned 3 sets and my 3rd set is the zpoles and I like them the best. This is due to the weight and packability. I also just set up my supertarp and with a little inguinity you can use them to set up the tarp. The one down side to the zpoles is they do not offer a snow basket for them. I dont think you can go wrong with any high end trekking pole.

Gman

WKR
I had black diamond with flick lock in aluminum. They are tough and had no reason to upgrade. Decided to go zpoles. I was going to get carbon but was worried ( probably unnecessarily) about nicking the carbon at some point and having a catastrophic failure. Plus saved a couple of bucks going aluminum. I've horsed on the aluminum Z poles and they are tough. Pack up small and are light. I also like the grips. Cons - not adjustable and if you're in between sizes you're out of luck. My thought is you don't need any anti shock mechanisms - just poles. Check the grips. The one thing I didn't like about my first pair was a stiff rubber grip so check a couple out. Good luck.

a3dhunter

WKR
I bought the Black diamond trail ergo cork with flick lock, and at 275 lbs have been very pleased with them.
I wanted something adjustable, since I may be using them for my golite tipi center pole.
Have used these for approx. 10 miles so far, covering 3500 feet elevation total.

Mckinnon

WKR
I have Black Diamond Trail Shocks with the flick lock. They are adjustable, very comfy in hand. I love them, have used for 2 trips thus far covering about 15 miles. Used them to set up my tent and they were great!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a couple sets of black diamond poles, as well as a set of komperdells floating around our gear closet (which is pretty much the whole house at this point, ha ha). For me at least, both adjustable height and flick locks are pretty high priorities. Besides using adjustable height poles to erect a tipi, it's nice to adjust the length based up whether you are ascending, descending or hiking on flatter terrain. I did a pretty short day hike this morning up a butte in our area, and adjusted the height by a full 10 cm for the descent--I could have survived with them at the same height but they were more comfortable adjusted and I was glad I had the option. When side hilling I sometimes adjust the pole shorter on the higher side, but again it's personal preference. Also nice to collapse one or both to carry if you dont want to use them for some reason. The flick locks make adjustment easy, and I have never had any fail like the twist locks we used to use, which would slip after moderate use.

I have Black Diamond Trail Shocks with the flick lock. They are adjustable, very comfy in hand. I love them, have used for 2 trips thus far covering about 15 miles. Used them to set up my tent and they were great!

I have these exact poles. Trail shocks flick lock adjustable. Amazing. and they turn me into a machine going up hill. use them for the hike in and out for sure, they even double as my paratipi poles. Can't go wrong and they aren't too bad, 100 dollar range.

I have used both carbon and aluminum with no real differences in durability. I definitely prefer the flicklocks though, much more reliable in my experience. As far as the shocks go I can't say I ever noticed a performance difference between the two, but ymmv. I prefer the adjustable poles since I use them for tent/tipi setup as well.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I have these exact poles. Trail shocks flick lock adjustable. Amazing. and they turn me into a machine going up hill. use them for the hike in and out for sure, they even double as my paratipi poles. Can't go wrong and they aren't too bad, 100 dollar range.

Okay, they better not suck.

If I can put 330 lbs on them all day going uphill then they don't suck! Covered over 80 miles last year on them during my 12 day elk hunt... And I'm putting way more weight on them than most!

Mckinnon

WKR
Franklin they definitely do not suck! They are priced right in my opinion, and are very easy to use. Although I have only used mine a few time thus far, they seem pretty indestructible, also as Becca said having adjustable poles is awesome for descending, with these you also have the optional secondary grip below the primary one if you dont want to take 30 seconds to adjust them. Thats just my 2 cents though. I would say if you are worried about them just pick them up from rei and if you don't like them you can return them no questions for a full refund.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I was just busting his chops, I hope he knows that. I weigh in in this corner at 195 so I should have no worries. I am planning on offloading about 15 pounds so I shiver with the leaves.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd get BD poles with flick locks and no shocks. IME the shocks add weight and don't add that much comfort. YMMV.