Trekking poles reccomendations?

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
I have an injured knee and hiking out with a pack loaded down with meat just isn't as easy as it once was. I'd like to get a quality set of trekking poles to assist with hiking under load, stream crossing, etc and provide just a bit more stability and maybe take some load off my knee. What I am looking for is something STRONG and light weight (likely carbon I would assume), and if it has the ability to also be adapted into a shooting stick then more power for it. What's the recommendation here?

tdhanses

WKR
I’m pretty impressed with the S&S archery brand but just received them. I’ve used Leki for years without issue.

Strong to me, means no joints to fail. One-piece carbon is stronger, and lighter than 3-piece carbon poles, along their locking mechanisms. I use Weaver Leather carbon show sticks (cow pokers). They may not collapse for packing, but the difference is worth it to me. Couple them with the Wiser Precision shooting stick adapters and you have a bombproof set of poles...

16Bore

WKR
Leki. I’ve got an older pair of aluminum ones. Snapped one, they sent another.

Marble

WKR
Costco cascade for me too. I like the ones that have a piece that folds open on each joint. I can take them apart and put them in my pack. Shaves about 3" off the collapsed length.

I have had a pair of expensive ones because I break or loose them.

OP
G

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
Cascade Designs.

found them on Amazon. 1056 reviews with a 4.6 star rating. $40. Multiple tip options. Seems like a GREAT place to start. I’ll get these and move up the line in quality/cost if needed. Thanks for the pointer.

Look into big sissy gear, sissy sticks. Heard nothing but great things about them. Top section of them is carbon fiber the bottom part is aluminum. 130$ for the set on sale right now for 110$. I just ordered a set, I have yet to try them. I've been using a cheap pair from Bass pro shop that haven't failed yet except for one a buddy stepped on going through a Willow patch. But they aren't meant for that so not the poles fault lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Costco ones for a 9 day mule deer hunt in Utah this fall and they held up great. I’d highly recommend them.

Costco ones! I had one get stuck between 2 rocks and broke. Went on there website and ordered the replacement parts, fast shipping and super cheap.

Good to know. I have broken a few poles on falls, not the Cascades yet, and would not have thought to buy replacement parts. I have just thrown them out.

Good to know. I have broken a few poles on falls, not the Cascades yet, and would not have thought to buy replacement parts. I have just thrown them out.
Ya it was definitely cheaper to buy the replacement parts than a new pair. I order a few spare parts for just in case.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Black Diamond is my favorite. I like their aluminum poles. In 14 years of using BD poles I'm on my second set. They have held up very well. I have some Costco Cascade's for the kids or a backup if needed. You hear of a lot more people breaking carbon poles than the aluminum poles. Always go with a flip lock pole. The anti shock poles are a sales gimic. Leki make's a great pole as well.

I can't answer the question of "the best", but I've used the Cascade Designs poles for the last three years. I've got 100 days or so with them, with some days packing meat (which is the ultimate test of trekking poles). I have the carbon shaft with twist lock type. They have failed several times. I have taken them apart and epoxied them back together.

Lately, I have come to the conclusion that trekking poles are a very important piece of equipment. They are so important that I won't hunt in mountains without them and would never pack meat without them. I rely on them for stream crossing and negotiating rocky terrain.

The cheap Cascade poles are good enough to use for a while, but I'm upgrading before next season. I'm buying either the Black Diamond carbon flip lock with cork grip, or I'm buying the S&S poles.

EDIT: I just checked and the S&S poles are sold out. That makes my decision easy - Black Diamond for next season.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
I can't answer the question of "the best", but I've used the Cascade Designs poles for the last three years. I've got 100 days or so with them, with some days packing meat (which is the ultimate test of trekking poles). I have the carbon shaft with twist lock type. They have failed several times. I have taken them apart and epoxied them back together.

Lately, I have come to the conclusion that trekking poles are a very important piece of equipment. They are so important that I won't hunt in mountains without them and would never pack meat without them. I rely on them for stream crossing and negotiating rocky terrain.

The cheap Cascade poles are good enough to use for a while, but I'm upgrading before next season. I'm buying either the Black Diamond carbon flip lock with cork grip, or I'm buying the S&S poles.

EDIT: I just checked and the S&S poles are sold out. That makes my decision easy - Black Diamond for next season.

Well the S&S will be back in stock before next season, they gave them away for free during Black Friday for orders over $500. So that probably emptied out their current inventory.

Well the S&S will be back in stock before next season, they gave them away for free during Black Friday for orders over $500. So that probably emptied out their current inventory.

I heard on one of their podcasts that they were emptying their inventory and wouldn't be restocking. So, if anybody has any new S&S poles for sale shoot me a PM.

Pezboat

WKR
I’d avoid Sissy Stix. I just picked up a pair and one of the sections was locked in place. I tried everything to get the section to extend to no avail. The other pole worked fine. But they seemed a bit cheap to me for the price. They flexed way more than my BD poles. And their customer service is kind of a joke. I have to pay to return the defective poles. I can understand paying to return the poles if I just decided I didn’t like them, but they are straight up defective. Overall, not impressed.