Trekking Poles.. s and s backcountry carbonlite or leki corklite

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
So last season I helped a buddy pack out a pretty big bear packs weighing 100 pounds and I'm still young only 25 but we had to pack out over blowdowns and my buddy had trekking poles and he cleared the field in half the time it took me and he seemed way less fatigued. I'm thinking about getting the S and S archery Carbon Lite Backcountry trekking poles and the Leki Corklite. Decided to go with the collapsible so I can use it for my shelter. I was thinking about the leki because they are the snap lock not the twist locks but the new s and s archery twist locks are a pretty new cool design. Does anyone have any experience with either of these poles. I'm leaning more towards the S and S because they are super lightweight and designed with the backcountry hunter in mind. Do you guys prefer carbon or aluminum? The s and s poles weigh 13 oz and the lekis weigh 20 so almost a half pound difference.

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
And every time I post you guys give me a hard time about the 0420 on my name. Yes I'm from California and no I don't smoke dope. My birthday is April 20 1995

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't used either so I have no context for advice but being the internet I'll throw it out there anyways. Flip locks can be adjusted for tension quick and easy twist locks not so much (s&s design unknown to me) carbon can break, aluminum will bend. Breaking with all your wieght on it won't have good results. Either will work for you I believe there is a rokslide review on the s&s poles. I edited to say I adjust the height of mine for climbing (shorter) and descending (longer) I'd wouldn't get non-adjustable set unless I was doing a technical climb wear my life depended on them.

I use the flip lock carbon poles from Costco I've had the same pair for 6 years and had all my body wieght on a single pole and been impressed that they didn't break. I just left them on my Jeep fender and drove off without them and just ordered a two pack(70$) for my bison hunt. One nee pair for me and a backup for whatever sucker I can con into helping pack it out.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mlob1one

WKR
I've owned the Leki corklites for 5 years. They are robust and have not let me down. I would argue against carbon because if they bust, you're hosed because they splinter. Especially if you're using them for tent poles. Aluminum can be jury rigged to still complete a task.
The handles on the corklites are exceptional with or without gloves. On heavy pack outs in steep terrain I've leaned heavily on my pillows and they have held up. I can't comment on the S&S, but the Leki is a solid option.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

eamyrick

WKR
I bent both of my BD Aluminum ones last year and have since bought the S&S carbon ones for the weight savings and less opportunity to bend. A buddy and I spent a week in the same terrain last year and his carbon poles were perfect and both of my BD aluminum poles were badly bent. So far I really like the S&S poles but it easier to quickly adjust height with flick locks.

I also add that I have learned a ton from the Hunt Backcountry Podcast but don’t own and Exo and felt like supporting them by purchasing the S&S poles.

Don't have any experience with the ones you mention, but like what has already been said, save yourself some $$ and don't over think it, get the Costco carbon (Cascade Mountain Tech's). They only weigh a couple oz's more than the S&S, come with multiple attachments (baskets and caps), have cork handles and flick locks, and only cost $30.

RyanCmns

WKR
I run the zpacks poles I like them I've got some leki aswell

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned the Leki corklites for 5 years. They are robust and have not let me down. I would argue against carbon because if they bust, you're hosed because they splinter. Especially if you're using them for tent poles. Aluminum can be jury rigged to still complete a task.
The handles on the corklites are exceptional with or without gloves. On heavy pack outs in steep terrain I've leaned heavily on my pillows and they have held up. I can't comment on the S&S, but the Leki is a solid option.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I decided to go with the leki corklite. Depending on how I like em I will keep them or give them to my dad since he's needing a pair as well.

dtrkyman

WKR
I bought my wife some leki poles on sale, they collapse and lock out when pulled on, not sure the model but they are really nice poles, hers have only seen light use.

I did use them one trip hauling maybe 30lbs up some crappy steep switchback trail, worked awesome. Definitely nicer than the cheap Mountain smiths I bought myself, But I needed a set that adjusted shorter for my shelter.

Couzklr

FNG
I have used a few poles over the past few years. The aluminum ones I used bent way to easy and were loud, but they were able to bend back an still semi usable. I use carbon now and I like them but the splintering thing scares me but they are quieter. Either way you decide i really reccomend cork handles. Costo sells a decent pair they are pretty decent and cheep.

Okhotnik

WKR
So last season I helped a buddy pack out a pretty big bear packs weighing 100 pounds and I'm still young only 25 but we had to pack out over blowdowns and my buddy had trekking poles and he cleared the field in half the time it took me and he seemed way less fatigued. I'm thinking about getting the S and S archery Carbon Lite Backcountry trekking poles and the Leki Corklite. Decided to go with the collapsible so I can use it for my shelter. I was thinking about the leki because they are the snap lock not the twist locks but the new s and s archery twist locks are a pretty new cool design. Does anyone have any experience with either of these poles. I'm leaning more towards the S and S because they are super lightweight and designed with the backcountry hunter in mind. Do you guys prefer carbon or aluminum? The s and s poles weigh 13 oz and the lekis weigh 20 so almost a half pound difference.
At your age can buy a $ 15 dollar pair of used ski poles strapped to a pack and do well

But can pay a $100 more and get better quality

More of a budget issue

fatlander

WKR
Just throwing it out there, you’re 24 . . . I’ve got cascade el cheapo trekking poles. They’ve worked fine for me so far. Don’t think you can go wrong either way you’re looking.