Trekking Poles Standard or Anti-Shock?

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
I am purchasing my first set of trekking poles for an upcoming high country archery Mule Deer hunt.

I have decided on the Leki Corklite Aergon. Now I have to decide if I want Anti-shock.
I have read it helps with cushion while downhilling but would like some real world opinions.

Also note I plan to use these as my center pole for a Golite SL5

So is anti-shock worth it?

Thanks

OP
drthornton

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
You think there would be any reason the anti-shock would interfere with using it as a tent pole?

Price difference is only $12 so I just want to get the most out of them.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it will affect it being used as a tent pole. The anti shock only moves about a quarter inch in and out.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
My Komperdell anti-shock poles have a lockout that I use when I'm going uphill or using them as a pole for my SL5.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Funny I was just discussing anti shock poles this morning on a hike. I personally think they are a gimmick. If you get them make SURE you can lock them out while going uphill otherwise you are just warming up a spring and a good part of the benefit of a trekking pole is syphoned off. As far as going downhill, the antishock is not a big benefit. It might give a little cushion but I like the poles without the cushion because you can feel instantly what the ground is like and whether a rock or the dirt is giving way or is solid. With an anti-shock pole, there is a little delay in that sensation. Personally I don't feel as stuck to the mountain. as far as models ot consider try black diamond with it's click lock system for the adjustable sections. i much prefer it to the Leki twist to lock system. It is much faster to deploy. Black Diamond also has a really sweet light weight carbon pole that is in 3 fixed sections. The weight is literally about half that of most everything out there. The pro or con is that the length is fixed. It makes deployment super fast but they aren't adjustable in the length which personally I don't think is a problem. I end up hiking with mine at the same length 95% of the time. That might however be a problem when it comes to using them with a tent. When I tried my buddies the sections seems to "click" together a bit and be a bit more noisey while hiking.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If looking for super light weight ones, TiGoat makes a pair around 8 oz total, but they come with a repair kit, which makes me shy away from them. A friend of mine has them and they seem brittle although I don't know of him ever having a problem.

The Leki's have the click lock system on most of their poles now and it is truly ten times better than the twist lock system.

I also don't change the length much unless I have miles of one terrain feature ahead of me. I just prefer to roll with one length verse changing back and forth for short little uphill or downhills.

I would also suggest Leki, Black Diamond or REI as my last option.

dotman

WKR
I have these exact poles with flip locks but the ones I have are not the shock, I really like them and don't see a reason for the shock.