Trekking poles/ walking staff info

Hovenator

WKR

pwrdbycotn

FNG
Classified Approved

Just finished a hunt in the Bob. My wife and I were using Black Diamond trekking poles and our guide had the trigger stick. I was so impressed with it that I bought one as soon as I got home. He was able to use it as a walking staff, bino stabilizer, and It could have been used for a shooting stick. From here on, the trekking poles are for casual hikes and the Trigger Stick is for hunting.

22lr

WKR
Id be interested in trying those Mountian Smith design of handle for sure. I could see it being super nice, or super annoying... but for doing alot of up and down hill stuff I could see it being useful. But I'd have to play around with em for sure.

Just get the Cascades, either one will work just as good as the other. I have the foam and cork options and dont notice any difference. I also have aluminum and carbon poles and again, they work the same.

As far as the handle on the Mountainsmith, I have not tried it but I think the regular ones would be better for climbing. The Mountainsmith design looks good for downhill though.

OP
Hovenator

Hovenator

WKR
I like the Mountainsmith for its length and the handle, especially for going downhill. The Cascades have been recommended to me and others by several mountain guides as a best bang for the buck set of poles. At the low cost of each, I may get the aluminum Cascades and the Mountainsmith.......