Trekking Poles

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I figured I would break them quickly, but they made t through an entire season without issue.

They do flex a little, but I really beat the living piss out of them and don't even worry about that now. I also had several nights in the Supertarp with those polses holding it up and they did fine like that as well.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just tried out my Black Diamond Ultra Distance Zpoles shed hunting for the day. Though they did not help me find any sheds, they appear to be very durable for something that comes in weighing just over 9oz per pair and for a piece of equipment that takes so much strain off the knees on the descents. They will be in my pack come Sept for sure!

This is a good topic. I use one of two brands: Leki and Black Diamond. I don't like anti-shock for hunting and for rocks, as they are heavier, longer when collapsed and when I dig them into an object, I don't want them to move. Use them with the small snow hood on the end or they can get between rock cracks too easily and will sink in the mud. I prefer to just use one, so that I can carry my rifle when needed and/or use my free hand for holding onto trees, brush and rocks, when going through bad terrain. Sometimes I will pack two as I've broken them before and going downhill with really big loads, 2 can be nice. 2 are also nice for open trails and tundra, but one is more practical for sure. I like the Carbon Fiber the best. I've broken several alum and titanium in cold weather as once they bend and you try to straighten them, they break. I buy them in the sets of two and like models with cork handles. The foam handles also work. The sets run $110-140/set and are worth the money. The Black Diamonds use a locking pivot. The Leki uses a twist tighten. The Black Diamonds are easier to use, but Leki is lighter. I'm sure there are other good models our there, but these are the two I've had good luck with.

Just thought I would mention that my local Costco is selling carbon fiber trekking poles for $25/pair. Seems like a steal compared to what some of them cost.