Trekking Poles

I learned to use trekking poles after a knee surgery I had in 2014. Multiple ligament reconstruction, it was not minor. I bought some REI brand ones that have held up well. One of the tension adjusters broke (probably from me over tightening them) so I put a couple sheet metal screws in it and that bottom length is set. I've since bought another pair from REI with a different tension mechanism that I like better. The others are always stashed away in the vehicle in case I need a spare. I always carry my trekking poles in the mountains but generally only use them for the following:
-Pre or post daylight hours, hiking to and from camp when the weapon is on my pack
-Packing out meat, they are a must for me!!
-Quick rain shelter with my emergency blanket
-Stream crossings

Last year was my first year with trekking poles and I was shocked at the difference they made. I’ve done a lot of hiking/backpacking and knew I was in trouble for a backcountry elk hunt without having done any training leading up to it and going from sea level straight to 8,500 feet. It went shockingly well and the only thing I can attribute it to was the trekking poles. I got some montem poles. They are more of a budget set of poles but have great reviews. I’ll try to find a link to the review I used.

Here’s the website I based it off. They seem to be a little biased towards montem but, for the price, I was really impressed with the aluminum poles. Check out outdoor gear lab’s review of the trekking poles.

Sled

WKR
Anyone using that black diamond trek pole with the ice axe on top? Any feedback?

George Davis
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you're talking about the whippet, then yes i have. it's for firm spring conditions when ski touring where you need poles but don't necessarily need and ice axe. it's used for self arresting a fall on steep terrain. it can also be used to fend off roving packs of snowboarders at ski resorts. i wouldn't suggest them for an elk hunt.

+1 to what Broadhead said. And what Silver said about poles being 4x4 on the mountain.

I never even heard of them until I moved to Oregon and started hunting Roosevelt elk on the coast. Hunted half that first season climbing up and down those hills on all fours and my backside -- then went with a friend who ran trekking poles and now take them regularly. In fact, they are the tent poles for my lightweight backpacking tent.

When you have serious weight on your pack or are dealing with steep terrain or blowdown, the trekking poles add a lot of stability and safety. If you are walking logging roads or flatland, then they can always tuck in your pack or lash to the outside.

Glad to see this post, because I have lost a Leki brand pole or two over the years when slogging through reprod. This is not an item where $100 is much different than $30 from what I can tell, so I'll be visiting Costco or Wally World for my next pair/replacements. Thanks for the tips guys.
Thanks

I was surprised at the difference they made. Takes a little time to get a rhythm but they’ve certainly assist when packing some weight

Here’s the website I based it off. They seem to be a little biased towards montem but, for the price, I was really impressed with the aluminum poles. Check out outdoor gear lab’s review of the trekking poles.

I have the Montem 3K carbon flip lock poles and they seem every bit as good as Leki or BD for a much better price. I also have Costco ones but like the flip locks for quicker adjustment. The new Montems have noticeably more flex than my Costco ones and supposedly they are a much stronger material but I've never had problems with either Brand.

Rprice

FNG
I got one of the Black Diamond sets. They are Ok... I'd say pay attention to the diameter of the discs on the bottom. They are really clunky. I mean you could just remove them but I like having them just not the huge Frisbee golf discs I have

I am looking to buy trekking poles to take on an elk hunt this fall. Not looking to buy top of the line, but don’t want something that is going to snap on the first trip. Looking for suggestions. Does anyone have an experience with Kelty Range 2.0 poles or Mountainsmith Carbonlite pros?

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Cascade poles from Costco with flip locks. For reference, I weigh ~230 and managed to pack a couple elk out with them last year. No complaints, and I would buy them again in a heartbeat if I had to do it over again.

Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the Costco poles, not a bad option for the price

HNTR918

WKR
I use Leki Voyager Poles from GoHunt.
I use them to pack in.
They are used to pitch my tent while I day hunt.
If I move camp I use them again.
If we are lucky enough to pack out an animal, I pull them out of my tent and use them.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Trying out a new pair of Black Diamond Carbon Cork. I think these will be the ones I use for pack in and meat pack out. I don't use them a lot, but trekking poles are great to have for heavy loads.

SaltyUte

Lil-Rokslider
Have a pair from S&S archery I really like but my Black Diamond poles for splitboarding will be replacing those this season.

ChrisAU

WKR
I used the Cascade Mountain Tech aluminum poles last year, broke one while hiking. I stuck it too deep in the ground and tried to pull myself up. Replaced them with the carbon ones, and I'm going to be sure to keep the little discs on them to keep from jamming them in too deep into soft ground.