Trekking Poles

I asked a good friend of mine who has been elk hunting quite a bit. He says they stay on his pack and until he hauls the animal out. very lightweight and says its worth the haul

I love mine, they are more top of the line but I’ve heard the Costco ones work great and know a lot of guys that use them and love them.

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
I always use my trekking poles when I have a loaded pack, I have the Costco poles too

jragsdal

Lil-Rokslider
For me they’re 100% necessary - think of it as having 4x4 going uphill in the mountains. They are damn near critical when packing heavy loads, and in a pinch you can use them as an improvised splint or crutch in the event of things going pear shaped.

I’m running a set of Loki collapsible 3-sections that fold to about 8” for storage. I know guys who have used the costco ones successfully, but the way I have come to use mine I’m happy to spend the extra money.

One thing to consider - go with the flick-lock style if they’re adjustable poles. Way too many times Ive seen the twist lock ones either jam up or fall apart and not lock, rendering them basically useless.

Completely agree with this. I have the Leki Makalu lite and they’re worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmf0713

WKR
How heavy are you guys that are using the Costco poles? I’m 250 and don’t know if I trust cheap poles or even the cam lock poles. I actually just bought some aluminum distance z poles because I’m not too sure I even trust the carbon if I’m using a lot of pressure going downhill. But I don’t have any experience with trekking poles so maybe I’m over thinking it.

Buck2747

FNG
I have a pair of olde black diamond aluminum poles. I only use them on long hikes or under heavy loads. Been in and out of the Grand Canyon a few times both with and without will not go with out them now. They do make a big difference. Have coworkers that run the Costco ones. For the price buy a spare set and toss truck to use on that second meat run if needed. Or lend to your Sherpa that for his or does not have them yet.

Bought some Black Diamond Trail Back poles last year before my trip on Amazon for $65. I was skeptical at first if I would like/use them.

Saved my knees and back tremendously in all of the snow and ice. Popped one into the ground rather quickly at a 45 degree angle to use as a rest when I shot my bull 230 yds away. Not a great rest but better than nothing.

To the OP, I'd get some regardless of budget and/or price point.

Are trekking poles really that necessary, other than on the full pack out? Sierra Trading has a Leki set for $20. They looked decent and sturdy.

I have had three surgeries on my right knee and it now has arthritis. I always thought they were hokie until I tried them. It’s much easier going up and down hill. They also saved my butt when walking down a steep embankment in the dark when the bank gave out under me and if I wasn’t able to get them in front of me I would have fallen flat on my face into a rocky stream side hunting alone. Not something that I would have wanted. These were a cheep $20 pair I picked up at Walmart. I am 6’2 and 275. They held me like a champ. No slipping or bending.

JDoob

FNG
I've used a few different brands and I like the Black Diamond carbon cork trekking poles. Very sturdy but not too heavy.

fbhandler

WKR
I like the Leki makalu lite... they are aluminum but still lighter then many of the carbon offerings. I think mine come in around 17oz. I’m pretty hard on poles and having bent a few sets, being able to bend them back, I think I’m sold on aluminum. I believe Leki has one of the best grips our there if that’s important to you

Last edited:

AGdent07

FNG
Didn't think I needed trekking poles. We ended up getting almost 12" of snow dumped on us and they were invaluable. They give you tons of stability especially on descent. I highly recommend getting a set.

Huey

FNG
When I was young I never used them. They probably were not around then. Now that I have moved along in years they have become my friend. They help keep me off the ground 4 or 5 times a year elk hunting. It is easier to trip now and they really help. I also noticed after hunting the first few days in steep country my arms are a little sore. I didn't realize how much I used them to get up the steep hills. Now I never leave home without them. I use the Leki poles.

nphunter

WKR
I had great luck with my first set of the carbon cascades with cork handles and twist locks, hundreds of miles and wore the tips right of and are still going. I bought a new set last fall and the rods came apart right at the twist locks on both of the new pairs. I keep Leuko tape in my pack which I used for a field repair and worked fine. I am just going to use some of my easton epoxy and fix them. I like the twist locks over the snap locks since you can't undo them by snagging them. I also have a set of expensive black diamond snap locks that are aluminum and hate using them due to the extra noise the aluminum makes.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Are trekking poles really that necessary, other than on the full pack out? Sierra Trading has a Leki set for $20. They looked decent and sturdy.

I held off on using poles for years because I thought they were dorky. Now I won't leave home without them. They're unnecessary on flat trails or ridgetops, but help a lot getting up and down from said ridge, and are the only way I can spend any time on scree fields. And trekking poles are worth their weight in gold when you're getting tired and clumsy.

I just make sure to throw them out of the frame when someone takes a picture. And to throw them at every grouse I see, in season.

doublebow

FNG
I use them for stability going downhill and at times to help % pull yourself uphill. I have read where they can take 20% of the load off your legs by using your arms and the poles. '

they are a must have for this older dude

HookUp

WKR
Hunting in any type of steep terrain they are gold. Picked up sets for my wife and kids for mushroom hunting and they were all highly appreciative this spring. Blow down and dead fall are much easier navigated with poles.

15 oz. carbon fiber/corks currently at Cosco.
32e3cb93f900aa74ea5163cf8712ce7b.jpg

Gdavis3rd

FNG
Anyone using that black diamond trek pole with the ice axe on top? Any feedback?

George Davis

Holocene

WKR
+1 to what Broadhead said. And what Silver said about poles being 4x4 on the mountain.

I never even heard of them until I moved to Oregon and started hunting Roosevelt elk on the coast. Hunted half that first season climbing up and down those hills on all fours and my backside -- then went with a friend who ran trekking poles and now take them regularly. In fact, they are the tent poles for my lightweight backpacking tent.

When you have serious weight on your pack or are dealing with steep terrain or blowdown, the trekking poles add a lot of stability and safety. If you are walking logging roads or flatland, then they can always tuck in your pack or lash to the outside.

Glad to see this post, because I have lost a Leki brand pole or two over the years when slogging through reprod. This is not an item where $100 is much different than $30 from what I can tell, so I'll be visiting Costco or Wally World for my next pair/replacements. Thanks for the tips guys.