Trekking Poles

JK9897

FNG
I am looking to buy trekking poles to take on an elk hunt this fall. Not looking to buy top of the line, but don’t want something that is going to snap on the first trip. Looking for suggestions. Does anyone have an experience with Kelty Range 2.0 poles or Mountainsmith Carbonlite pros?

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
There was a thread here a while back that highlighted the best gear you spent the least money on. Trekking poles from Costco was high on the list, quite a few people had found them and loved them. I picked some up too and never turned back. ~$30 bucks, light sturdy, haven't broke one yet. You can buy them in a two pair set online: https://www.costco.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-Trekking-Poles,-2-pack.product.100480782.html

Amazon has them for a little more.

Are trekking poles really that necessary, other than on the full pack out? Sierra Trading has a Leki set for $20. They looked decent and sturdy.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are not necessary BUT your knees and lower body will appreciate the benefit of using them on long descents and or pack out👍

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a set of Ozark Trail I picked up at Wally World a few years ago. No issues so far with them. Best $16 bucks I have ever spent.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
Are trekking poles really that necessary, other than on the full pack out? Sierra Trading has a Leki set for $20. They looked decent and sturdy.
Depends on the person just like everything else. I dont think they are worth the hassle. My friends use them a lot and it seems like they get in the way quite a bit especially if its super steep. They definitely help in some situations too.

Forgot to add both my buddies use cascade mountain tech and they have held up through some pretty serious stuff.

Last edited:

Sled

WKR
trekking poles can be great when needed. sometimes i bring one for the hike out or even up on a steep climb. when packing out, even on the flats i prefer to have 2. i use some black diamond light weight foldables. they're around 6oz per pole. i've also threaded the top of one of the poles 1/4 x 20 for my 11-33 spotter. it's a quick way to get stable without the 3lb tripod when you don't need a full half day of spotting.

Last edited:
I am looking to buy trekking poles to take on an elk hunt this fall. Not looking to buy top of the line, but don’t want something that is going to snap on the first trip. Looking for suggestions. Does anyone have an experience with Kelty Range 2.0 poles or Mountainsmith Carbonlite pros?

I have Kelty range poles. Used for 1 season and I snapped one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver

FNG
For me they’re 100% necessary - think of it as having 4x4 going uphill in the mountains. They are damn near critical when packing heavy loads, and in a pinch you can use them as an improvised splint or crutch in the event of things going pear shaped.

I’m running a set of Loki collapsible 3-sections that fold to about 8” for storage. I know guys who have used the costco ones successfully, but the way I have come to use mine I’m happy to spend the extra money.

One thing to consider - go with the flick-lock style if they’re adjustable poles. Way too many times Ive seen the twist lock ones either jam up or fall apart and not lock, rendering them basically useless.

bmf0713

WKR
I haven’t used them and was a little skeptical on needing them but a lot of people on this forum like them so I bought a set. Was trying to cut weight and going back and forth I thought I might not take trekking poles. Then I got a cimarron tent where (for almost the same weight) I can use trekking poles for the center pole so I’m definitely gonna take them now. Otherwise they were probably just gonna stay in the truck.

Shrek

WKR
I wouldn’t go without poles anymore. It was a little awkward and annoying the first time I used them for about an hour so I stopped and put them back into my pack. I hike about another 100 yards and stop and got them back out. I’ve never stopped using them since. I broke one once while packing meat and I was lost !

I used them on one hike last year. Bought some inexpensive ones from Walmart and one of them buckled on the way down a steep hill. Never replaced them last year but I definitely noticed a difference. Planning on getting a nicer pair this year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Broadhead

FNG
Trekking poles are like gaiters. Everyone seems to make fun of the person using them until you give them a try yourself. After that, you never leave home without them! I have a set of Mountainsmith's and really like them. The rubber foot wore off pretty quickly making it loud to walk across rocky soil.