Trekking poles

Tbuckus

WKR
Going on my first elk hunt and I was reading the thread below and seen trekking poles are a valuable piece of equipment. The costco ones have good reviews. My question is what tip do you use most often? Thanks

I always use the carbide tips. Although noisy, they grip well.
I primarily only use them when packing out meat, or if I’m traversing or climbing in or out of canyons.
Don’t know about the Costco ones, but the rule on most of the poles out there are you pay mor if you want light weight. Cheaper ones may break under weight. If thats not an option for you, spend more money. I didnt want to spend a mint on Leki’s so I got the REI CF on discount. Haven’t broke them yet. Got another off brand lightweights off of amazon For the wife and they work well also.

BBO

FNG
Does anyone have any experience with the Black Diamond Trail Pole Pro Poles? I have heard that the brand is good quality, but not sure about this specific pole. They run right at $130.00.

I have the Apline Carbon and can't see running anything else. The
FlickLock Pro is a huge improvement over the plastic locks.

Extrapale

WKR
I have these black diamond ones. They are not adjustable, but they come in 4 different sizes.

I destroyed a set of costco one in a couple years. Each one shattered when I fell on them while packing meat.
024c749e095a4e30629e3c5b04d42094.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
I’ve never actually needed them for snow, but I leave mine on all the time to keep my poles from sinking in mud.

This. I broke one last year and face planted into a rock because one of my poles went too deep in the ground and as a rookie I learned really fast why that was bad.

Finch

WKR
I bought some off eBay and they seem nice. They're called stage and are aluminum, about $18. I only use them when I'm out west once a year or so. They're great when packing out heavy loads. I usually take the rubber tips off and leave the caps that are about 2" from the end on.

I've always been intrigued about trekking poles but never wanted to spend the money on something I'd only use once or twice every couple years. These I can get behind. Thanks for the tip!

PAtwell

FNG
I have been using these for the last two years with no issues.

Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork Trekking Poles

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
+subscribed to learn which *tips* people are using per the OP. Had thought the rubber ends like on a cane, but based on the above I'm not sure. Seems like the metal tips would tend to slide on rocks.

+subscribed to learn which *tips* people are using per the OP. Had thought the rubber ends like on a cane, but based on the above I'm not sure. Seems like the metal tips would tend to slide on rocks.

The carbide tips have sharp edges cut into them and they are extremely hard. They will bite rock more than slide. Even on shale they work pretty well. When wet the rubber tips are garbage. Plus they pick up and carry mud.

BD and Leki both make great poles. I've moved back to AL poles because I shattered a CF pole right near my leg, got lucky I didn't catch the splitters which were everywhere...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mainly use them hiking into to a backcountry camp or packing meat. Also I've used them day hunting when in steep areas especially if there's snow. So NW CO is a bit too general to say. But if you shop Costco, $30 is pretty cheap insurance as I've used them for probably 6-8 years and they still work fine.

Wassid82

WKR
Carbon tips can be loud when they are placed on rock but they bite into the ground and can really help especially when you have a heavy pack the terrain is steep. Rubber is quiet. Pick the tip for the application you want. If I'm trying to be quiet I most likely won't be stalking with my trekking poles so I just have the carbon tips.

dk88

FNG
I use Black Diamond Carbon Corks and use the rubber tip the majority of the time and have not had any issues gripping rocks, if I am walking in blow downs or on ice I remove the caps and use the carbon tips.

11boo

WKR
I use poles when packing a load. very helpful. I could see needing them also if I don’t quit walking blowdown like a tight wire act and get hurt.

TX_Diver

WKR
I bought the S&S ones last year and loved them (as someone who'd never used Trekking poles before).

I remember them being cheaper though. Worth looking into whenever they're back in stock.

To me they are almost like having another set of legs; I usually use them getting into my spots in the morning and packing meat out.

Ram94

WKR
Something I just started doing this past year to mitigate the noise of solid tips on the rocks when stalking in, is flip my poles upside down. The rubber handles are very quiet and I don’t have to worry about falling.

NC Hunter

FNG
I pull the rubber tips off unless I plan to pack the poles a lot with the tip down in the side pocket. The metal tip grabs rocks really well. If I know I’m close to elk I’m for sure not using my trekking poles

I do the same. I have been very pleased with these: