Trekking poles

Joekidd

FNG
I've always hunted without trekking poles but I always see guys using them are they really worth the weight?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Saves the legs and especially the knee joints over time. Also nice for holding things like tarps up around camp. New ones are very light.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Saves the legs and especially the knee joints over time. Also nice for holding things like tarps up around camp. New ones are very light.
+1
AA.jpg

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
I can carry a lot more weight with them. I used to clown on them before a goat hunt on Kodiak. I use them all the time now.

In my twenties I thought they were for granolas only. Then a buddy used them on our elk hunts in the snow and in September. Once I realized they were awesome for many things, such as resting your upper body on them during heavy packouts, I was sold. I bought a pair of aluminums on sale and now carry a too expensive pair of carbon fiber poles.

Yes, I never leave home without mine. Used them today coming down a steep, icy, muddy trail. Makes a 4 mile 100lb packout achievable and safer.

Carlin59

WKR
I use them all the time. Feel stronger on uphill pulls, and safer on descents. They also are the center pole in my floorless shelter, and I use them as crossed shooting sticks for ~90% of my big game kills. Indispensable equipment in my book.

Fowler530

WKR
Definitely worth the weight! I was slow to convert, but after using them for the past couple seasons, I don’t leave home without em! Like mentioned above, they have many uses.

Felix40

WKR
Its worth having at least one. I dont like to use them all the time but in the right type of terrain with a heavy pack they are nice. If you get into really steep stuff they mostly just get in the way.

GotDraw?

WKR
Hi @Joekidd -

Kindly suggest you invest 1 minute of your own time and search your topic on this site and read a few posts, as there already great posts/chains on this topic. Then try to consider that the better posed and more specific your question, the more precise the answers-

• What do you need to know that isn't already posted?
  • Where are you hunting?
  • What terrain?
  • Day hunting, heavy backpack?
Give folks more to work with with your informed question after you've read a few posts and you'll get more precise answers rather than everyone wasting time trying to make guesses and shotgunning repeats of answers that have already been posted up on the board.

W/O knowing your particulars, the general answer is yes-- Go to this link and take a look at my post #17, it should help a bit.

Hope this helps!

best,
JL

I've always hunted without trekking poles but I always see guys using them are they really worth the weight?