Trekking poles

I thought they were unnecessary when my brother showed up to elk camp with them this year. However, about 5 minutes into the first pack out, I was thankful his son had a pair he wasn’t using. We packed out 4 elk in 4 days! They are a definite must for pack outs. I didn’t use them except for pack outs. Helped keep me on my feet rather than on my rear while stepping over downed trees and such as well as invaluable for resting your upper body with a 100lb pack on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
I bought a pair for the first time this year. Not real expensive ones, just to see...

I used one all summer for scouting and hiking. I tell you what, they are a game changer.
Not for just when packing meat, but traversing thru blowdown, stream crossings, sidehilling, etc.
Its amazing how much they assist your legs and balance overall

I will always have one in my pack

Old dogs can learn new tricks! ;)

matthewmt

WKR
Grab some Cascade brand carbon fibers from Costco, saved my ass yesterday with 71# pack out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

GotDraw?

WKR
I'll re-post the below from an earlier thread here on this thread since so many folks have questions... hope the links still work-

Opinion or Science? Pick which is important to you. I'll take science, which has also proven over time with my experience...

"A study done in 1999, published in the Journal of Sports Medicine showed that trekking poles are able to reduced pressure on your knees by up to 25 percent."

and an excerpt from another report:

"...When hiking uphill at significant grade, under significant load (approximately 47% grade and +40% bodyweight extra LOAD) trekking poles increase efficiency by approximately 10% and decrease perceived effort by 20%..."

If you are hunting in steep terrain, trekking poles are the bomb, both uphill and downhill.

Anyone that tells you differently either doesn't know how to properly use them or thinks they're for pussies and can't bring themselves to use them because they are too manly. Trekking poles will make you a faster ascender on steep trails, a faster descender on steep declines, they will save your leg muscles and knee joints and stabilize you if you start to lose you balance. The only time I don't use them is if I'm in a lot of underbrush and they are in the way.

If you are leaving the strap dangling and are using your hands to "grip" the handle, then you are using them completely incorrectly and inefficiently. You must use the strap as the handle. Your thumb and forefinger barely grip the top of handle and act as a pivot point as the pole swings out away from you when you move it forward to plant it, the bottom fingers almost never grip the pole.

Here are two links that give somewhat of a perspective on how to use them:

1. Video: How to use trekking poles (Old , poor quality video, but better than nothing. NOTE- her hand straps are kept too long)
  2. Article on How to use Trekking Poles (This guy has proper strap length)
Here's are three research reports on it:

1. Trekking Pole Study- North Umbria University
  2. Mountain Tactical Research Report
  3. Outdoor Gear Lab report
Plays your cards, takes your chances...
I always bring my trekking poles and use them.

Best,

JL

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't used them for hunting, never hike without them in Colorado, they really make a difference. My wife used them long before I did but once I picked up a pair I always use them. We are young and don't have knee problems, hopefully they will help prevent any.

I bought some reluctantly for an elk hunt and didn't spend a lot for a $20.00 Walmart set. I found them to make my training hikes with 50-75lb loads easier and then once I got to Colorado they saved my butt from falling flat on my face down a steep ridge after tripping over a blow down that was hidden under weeds. I will never hike with out at least one in my hand.

Indispensable equipment on any mountain hunt. As many have already pointed out they take some pressure off the joints and relieve a bit of stress going downhill. Another big point for me is maintaining balance when dealing with uncertain terrain and footholds. Many times poles kept me from face-planting when when something unexpectedly shifted under foot.

Used several different brands but keep coming back to Leki. They are structurally as good or better than anything else, but I like their ergonomically designed grips. That kind of usefulness and comfort really makes a difference over an all day excursion in the mountains.

Bought and used a set for the first time this year and went with the Black Diamond Carbons. They helped tremendously in a pack out of a bull yesterday but once I got the load back to the truck I noticed that the bottom of one pole had snapped off right below the basket. The terrain was extremely steep with lots of deadfall and rocks but I'm thinking this is a product defect. I will be contacting Black Diamond to see what they say. With all of that being said I can't believe I hadn't tried trekking poles before as they were a lifesaver coming down that mountain.

bigtuck

FNG
I guess it’s time to break down and try some. I have terrible knees, but try to carry as little weight as possible. Now just have to find a better way to carry my bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk