Trekking Poles?

I also laughed at the guys carrying trekking poles for years. Why would you ever carry those things? Well I never leave the truck without them now. Used them once and the joke was on me. Lol

Pezboat

WKR
Using them right this second for some off season scouting in bluff country, snow covered Minnesota. It makes traversing these slick bluffs a hell of a lot more tolerable. 66347F7B-BAF4-43BC-8DCF-8A8E07AEE05F.jpeg

*zap*

WKR
Yes, worth the $. I have 2 pair of pacemaker expeditions for beating up and I like the octopus heads they have, one pair of Komperdells for a light weight set. All 3 have cork grips.

BuckHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
This is the brand we got from costco, appears the name is different. Anyone have experience with them as tent poles next to a stove? The clips look vulnerable to heat to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200217-104958_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200217-104958_Gallery.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 52
If your planning on putting in a lot of miles with a heavy pack, trekking poles are game changers. They help balance your weight much better going over uneven terrain which removes a lot of stress on your feet and knees.

OP
WinM70

WinM70

FNG
Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I’ll be checking Costco for the Cascade’s.

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
I don't always use them hunting but I always take them with me. Very helpful after the harvest when carrying heavy loads.
This answers the easier question on whether or not you can split a pair with a buddy.
If you're good and usually have to pack out, buy a pair each.
Otherwise share a pair and cut yourself a second one for the pack out.
I'm front country hunting in thick timber so I usually just cut mine so I can leave it and make a new one when needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As a FYI to those that don't have a Costco near them or don't have a membership, you can get the Cascade poles on Amazon as well. I got the aluminum ones and they were $23.

Like 4 wheel drive is an accurate statement.

They carry some of your weight going uphill and easy the impact as well as give you more stability coming down.

Black Diamond Alpine FLZ poles for me. I’m a fan of their products.

D wine

FNG
What are your thoughts on trekking poles? Are they worth the money? Worth the weight when not being used while hunting? What brands have people had best luck with?
Depending on your style of hunting they are a great compliment to your gear set. go with the cork grips if you can.

hikenhunt

WKR
HIGHLY recommend two poles. The ability to help push yourself uphill and slow yourself on the downhill (knee-saver) is invaluable.

Especially great when the load is heavy, the trek is steep and/or slippery. Makes descending much easier.

keller

WKR
just buy them and use them.probably the least expensive piece of gear you will own.packed an elk out this year and my buddies wished they had a set after saying why are you packing those things. i have the cascade mt tech.

I’ve never been a hiking stick person, but used just a branch I found packing elk last fall and it helped. Used another wooden stick this winter/spring hiking when it was icy and muddy and it made a big difference. Think I may end up getting some of the Costco poles to give them a try.

I’ve never been a hiking stick person, but used just a branch I found packing elk last fall and it helped. Used another wooden stick this winter/spring hiking when it was icy and muddy and it made a big difference. Think I may end up getting some of the Costco poles to give them a try.

Do it, it my very well be the best $30 you ever spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk