Trekking Poles

I have been using Black Diamond Contour Eliptical poles for 4 years and they are bullet proof. Not the lightest, nor do they have any cork or shock absorption junk in them. Over the last 4 years I have weighed an average of 265 and a high of 295 last season before I so much as lipped a pant leg on... I packed a 115lb pack full of dead caribou off the mountain last year, a 100lbs of sheep meat and camp the year before that and several 100lb loads of goat meat/hides off Kodiak in 2009. This year I was over 400lbs on the hoof loaded leaning heavily on the poles and they didn't give at all. I have banged them into rocks, fallen on them, stepped on them, dropped them down the mountain and caught them in between rocks losing my balance in moraine and thought for sure I would break them. The locks have never failed me and I expect that they will be heading back out to the sheep mountains next year. I have no intention of replacing them with anything else though a lighter guy could probably get by great with less.

One thing that I did notice this year is I slipped and lost my balance easier walking on moraine if I relied on the poles than if I didn't in many situations. With the poles I tended to use them to "catch" myself instinctively if a rock started shifting. Without them I tended to naturally shift my weight and balance the rock under my foot. I thought it was interesting and am curious if other have noticed similar behavior.

I use black diamond trail shocks. These things turn me into a machine going up and down ridges. Without them I'm slow, with them I can keep up with the best! Being 265 and being able to put all my weight on these poles helps with descents and keeps you from falling on your ass.

tstowater

WKR
I had a pair of Leki's for years and underused them. Bought a pair of Black Diamonds this year. Wanted a set that would be compact for travel and these worked well great for coming off the mountain with a heavy and/or unbalanced load. Saved my butt several times. Pain in the butt going through "bush" and great for setting up a tent.

Hike&Hunt

FNG
I always mocked my buddies for using them calling them old man sticks, I tried them this season and was impressed. I likened it to adding 4 wheel drive and a turbo to a 2 wheel drive pickup. My buddies tease me about being 1/2 goat anyhow, they didnt like the idea of going faster uphill, I did! This season I didnt hunt with them in my pack but found myself wishing I had when I was decending a steep slope with 160lbs+ on my back. I picked them up on the way to the truck with that load and they helped even on flat ground, if nothing else as a distraction from having a big load tagging along.

Thruhiker: I have caught myself in similar acts of questionable judgement, thinking to myself that if this silly little stick gives out under my weight this is going to hurt. So far, so good they have held up.

That all said, Ill be using them more next year, not getting any younger.

Well said about the years not going backwards! Trekking poles are cheap insurance to protect your knees, especially when loaded heavy.

Shrek

WKR
I just ordered some black diamond ultra distance trekking poles off steep and cheap. Anybody using them? Any good or did I just burn 60 bucks?

I ordered my Black Diamond's off Steep and Cheap a couple of years ago - although I think that they're a different model. Love the things; money well spent and a huge help when you have a heavy pack or are walking in the snow. Black Diamond makes some bigger cup things for the bottom that screw on for snow that I bought on sale over the summer but haven't tried yet. So I guess IN THEORY they should be even better in snow. Or they'll hang on every piece of brush I pass and I'll just fall over all day.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the Black Diamond Alpine, carbon fiber poles with the flick lock for 2012. I was really impressed! There was a few times where they should have snapped, especially when my knee buggered up on me but they held up very well and was an awesome upgrade over my old Leki poles.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
No , they are carbon fixed length collapsible . Weigh about 9.7oz for the pair.

That's what I have. I love mine. You got a steal on them!

Keep in mind that if you completely fall on them with a loaded pack and put all of your weight into it, they will eventually snap. If you take your time and use them how they are designed they will function perfectly and you will never realize that they are in your pack.

Shrek

WKR
Thanks slim9300 , I thought they were a deal so I just jumped. Any pole will break and I am very familiar with what carbon can and can't do well. I give up adjustability but I don't have to worry about them slipping at just the wrong moment either. Good to hear they are good quality.

blb078

WKR
Came across this thread and wanted to get some opinions on which trekking pole to get. I've never bought or used trekking poles so this is all kind of new to me. I've narrowed it down to Black Diamond Trail Shock & Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z Pole. Can get either one on sale for 75-80bux(links below). The differences that I've seen are the Z Poles are lighter, fixed length, straight grip, no shock absorption. The Trail Shocks, are heavier, adjustable length, ergo grip, shock absorption. So is there a real benefit to the shock absorption? Seems like some people say it does help and some say it doesn't depending on the review. The adjustable length seems like it would be a nice feature too. I'm 5'11" so I'm guessing I'd need the 120cm poles based on the sizing charts, or should I go w/the 130cm if getting a fixed length?

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/BKD...ricefrom=0&priceto=0&Tab=Review#ReviewInfoTab

http://www.rei.com/product/813391/black-diamond-ultra-distance-z-pole-trekking-poles-pair

Last edited:

JLF

FNG
blb078,

I have a $200 Leki Thermolite AERGON XL Anti-Shock Adjustable Trekking Poles weighing 17oz pair. Now I have those Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z Pole weighing 9.5 oz pair (120cm). I have found that those BD Ultra Z Poles will always get me back to the truck with minimal drama than the Leki's. Under the right conditions those adjustable poles can be a problem. Doing a little side slope action with over a hundred pounds of gear and meat isn't fun when you take a tumble down the mountain because your downhill pole decided to "adjust" on you. I have never had any issues with the Z-pole and they're lighter and shorter (when folded) to boot. Additionally, I'm 5'11" too and the 120cm are perfect for me. I've not missed the adjustability or antishock.

Hope this helps.

Shrek

WKR
if i buy some treking poles i'd have to buy a super/mega tarp.

Watch out ! Aron will loan you some demo poles and you'll be done for. Lol

On a more serious note , I got my z poles yesterday and they are amazingly light ! I will try them out in the morning and start to get used to them. I really did get a deal on them at $59 tmd.

bandit1

FNG
I'm actively watching steep and cheap for the black diamond ultra distance poles in 120cm. If anyone "happens to buy an extra set" on SAC, let me know, I'll make you a good deal. I can't believe they've been on there for less than 60 bucks! Gotta have em!

Shrek

WKR
I'm actively watching steep and cheap for the black diamond ultra distance poles in 120cm. If anyone "happens to buy an extra set" on SAC, let me know, I'll make you a good deal. I can't believe they've been on there for less than 60 bucks! Gotta have em!

They had the aluminum version on today . I haven't seen the carbon one again.

bandit1

FNG
Check out the SAC deal tracker, those carbon poles have been on a lot in the past couple of weeks. I feel like an iPhone geek, constantly checking. Pathetic. Oh well, anything for the right gear.