Trekking Poles?

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
Which ones are you guys and gals running and why?

Which ones would you buy today?

I'm looking at getting some and didn't want to buy more than 1 to get the right ones. I wish I could have gotten info. from you guys before I made some of my other past purchases. You all have great info. on this site!!!
Thanks

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use them. Personal preference on type and weight. If you use a tarp or ParaTarp just make sure the poles get small enough to use on foot end. Poles are especially helpful in steep terrain with a heavy pack.

Gman

WKR
Have run aluminum BD in the past with the flick lock system. Just got a set of the BD fixed Z poles as a gift and will use those this year. I decided against carbon, even though they are lighter and quieter, as I read some reviews on potential breakage. I'm hard on gear and figure the aluminum will suffice. If the height doesn't jive with my para tarp i'll just use available timber...

Lawlu

FNG
Anyone using the poles with the iceaxe on one end? Worth it or not?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I use REI brand. They are manufactured by Komperdell. They have been good, sturdy trekking poles for me.

6x6

FNG
I have been using the Gossamer Gear LT4 poles for the past three years. Best poles I have ever had. Strong, and only 3.5oz. per pole. I have the adjustable ones. If I don't use sticks to pitch my Supertarp, I just use them. They are great poles.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of Leki Corklite Aergon SpeedLocks. Saves my knees on all my summer trips plus I take em elk hunting or at least one.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using a trans alaska pair by Cabelas for several years. They collapse down to 26 or so inches, but I recently purchased a pair of the Black Diamond Ultra Distance poles that weigh in at 9.6 oz a set and fold down to 16 inches so they can easily fit in a pack when not being used. Trekking Poles have become my friend the last few years on long descents to take the pressure off the knees and to add stability with loads on. I definately recommend them as $$ well spent and your body will agree!

Lawnboi

WKR
i have some leki twist lock ones.

If i would buy some today it would be one of lekis lighter weight (probably stick with aluminum) flick lock poles.

Dont get twist lock ones...