Trekking poles

Scoot

WKR
I'm going to get a set of trekking poles. I want to use them for hauling heavy loads, but I'm also going to use it as my monopod for my 15x binocs. Because of that, I can't use the folding style poles and need ones that "slide and lock". Which ones should I get and why? Brand wise I'm leaning heavily towards Leki and Black Diamon. I looked at the Black Diamond poles fairly closely and there are a ton of options and I really have no idea which ones I should get. Any info appreciated...

I had a expensive set of Leki but the handles were very small and they did not feel overly strong. I sold them and reciently purchased a pair of black diamond cork carbons. Absolutely incredible pole. They are super light, super strong, and very comfortable. I got them onsale for $112 at backcountry edge. I believe they are still onsale.

I prefer the BD flip lock aluminum trail poles. I prefer the non-shock absorbing model in the longer length for use with a Sil-tent as poles. Mine have the foam grips and are very comfortable. I have a set of shock absorbing shorter BD poles that have been ultra reliable but don't need the shocks. The longer poles also make better cross country ski poles if that matters to you and the extra 6" of height with the tarp is great. Mine are threaded for the various bails for snow use too. I prefer no bails for hiking, packing and hunting and do use them for skiing and snowshoeing in the winter too.

Ozz08

WKR
I picked up a pair of rei brand(made by komperdell)carbon fiber trekking poles. They are flip lock and light at under 15oz for the pair. I haven't used them at all yet besides playing with them and testing the flip lock strength at home. The flip locks feel kinda "cheap" when operating them but they hold like a rock. I need to remember to take them along on my training hikes to try them in more practical situations.

The Black Diamond Carbons I spoke of above are flip lock. The tension is adjustable and are extremely secure. I have owned about 5-7 pairs of poles and these are bar none the best.

aron

WKR
I just picked up some Leki carbonlites from backcountry edge with the twist locks and I would recommend flip locks if using them for a monopod on the binos

Kotaman

WKR
They should be plenty long Scoot. Good choice. I have a set of Black Diamond flick locks I got from Cabelas a couple years ago and love them.