Trekking Poles ???

So I am biting the bullet and getting trekking poles. For years I thought the concept was absurd. (yah I know I a fool) after trying them I really get it. What are the advantages and disadvantages to the break down vs the collapsible poles? I can certainly see where both options would have sum pluses and minuses.
there is a pretty good special on Amazon for these Hiker Hunger poles.. anyone tried them?

Looking forward to the input.

Amazon.com : Hiker Hunger 100% Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles - Ultralight & Collapsible with Quick Flip-Lock, Cork Grips, & Tungsten Tips : Sports & Outdoors

30 bucks at Costco if they're still in stock.

I much prefer the adjustable style vs the fixed length style. Much more functional when you can adjust the length for when going uphill, downhill or pitching a tarp.

oldgoat

WKR
Those actually look pretty decent, never heard of the brand before though but I'm not a trekking pole officianado though either. I like those locks better than the twist locks and cork grips are nicer. I think you can get a lot more adjustment from the telescoping style than the ones that break down in segments, which is important when they double as tent poles or for use on a tarp setup!

FURMAN

WKR
I do not like adjustables. I love these Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z.

Gumbo

WKR
Leki micro adjust carbon all the way for me. They weigh about a pound and fold down small enough to always have in my pack. HAve worked flawlessly so far, but at $200 they are spendy. But I bought them at REI so the warranty is solid.

UtahJimmy

WKR
30 bucks at Costco if they're still in stock.

I much prefer the adjustable style vs the fixed length style. Much more functional when you can adjust the length for when going uphill, downhill or pitching a tarp.
This ^^^ Check out Sierra trading Post too, good deals to be had. I like the flick lock style better than twist lock. Less prone to fail. Also, you don't need to spend $100+ on trekking poles. Most are going to come in around 1lb for the set. I have an old pair of Easton aluminum (that I got for $30) that I've beat the crap out of and they are awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Vids

WKR
+1 for Sierra Trading Post. I just picked up a nice pair of carbon poles on there for about $70, there were a bunch of options to choose from in that price range.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
I have run the Costco ones for 2 years now pretty hard. There still going strong and have no reason to upgrade to more expensive ones honestly.

warrior80

WKR
I prefer the fixed length z poles. I picked up some black diamond carbon poles a year or two back that were discontinued so I only paid like $65-$70 for really nice poles. You should be able to find deals. I have really liked them. No need to adjust the length up and down for downhill or uphill. You can just grab a little lower on the pole for a minute if you have to. This way you never have to worry about the locks staying tight. They also fold up shorter than callapsubles and typically weigh less.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The only thing you have to be careful of with the ultra-small trekking poles that assemble like a tent pole is that they aren't engineered to be used with huge amounts of weight. If you are coming down a steep slope with a couple elk quarters and hoping that trekking pole is going to keep you upright, be careful. A quality pole like the Black Diamond alpine carbon cork is pricey, but you don't have to worry about it breaking at inconvenient times (I watched a friend slide down a snow field after his trekking pole broke on him). Cheaper poles are made with lesser quality materials, and while they work for most uses, I have seen them break in the field. It's when you put your poles under weight and pressure that they earn their keep.

Like all gear, you get what you pay for. Whatever you decide good luck!

OP
Huntindog45
The only thing you have to be careful of with the ultra-small trekking poles that assemble like a tent pole is that they aren't engineered to be used with huge amounts of weight. If you are coming down a steep slope with a couple elk quarters and hoping that trekking pole is going to keep you upright, be careful. A quality pole like the Black Diamond alpine carbon cork is pricey, but you don't have to worry about it breaking at inconvenient times (I watched a friend slide down a snow field after his trekking pole broke on him). Cheaper poles are made with lesser quality materials, and while they work for most uses, I have seen them break in the field. It's when you put your poles under weight and pressure that they earn their keep.

Like all gear, you get what you pay for. Whatever you decide good luck!

Yah i want quality for sure. Just was torn between the telescoping and the 3 piece breakdowns. could not tell if there was an advantage either way. I am kind of leaning toward the breakdowns...but I also might grab those hiker hunger poles i saw and give them a try/review...who knows they may be a steal. for $70 they might be a great find.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yah i want quality for sure. Just was torn between the telescoping and the 3 piece breakdowns. could not tell if there was an advantage either way. I am kind of leaning toward the breakdowns...but I also might grab those hiker hunger poles i saw and give them a try/review...who knows they may be a steal. for $70 they might be a great find.

Definitely trade offs either way. I prefer the telescoping poles for the above stated reasons plus I also use them often to pitch my tent and the adjustability is important. Something else to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mass drop has the BD Carbon Zs today for $99. I ordered a pair. They fold up smaller and weigh less than my telescoping poles so I think I will carry them more often. Down side is they are a fixed length. Guess a short or long pole is better than NO pole.

I'd recommend telescoping flick lock type. I have leki carbon ti and am very pleased. But Black Diamonds also very nice. Just try and get your hands on them as there are some differences in operation, grip, etc... If doubling for shelter telescoping is big plus, if not I'd say not really a big advantage but it is nice to get a precise and custom length for your needs.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like the Black Diamond Carbon Z trekking poles for hunting, since they only weigh 10 oz. and they are in my pack a lot of the time. They are nice for the pack in and heavy pack out, especially when you have muddy or snowy conditions. I haven't damaged them yet but they flex quite a bit and I think the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon is a really a better pole for heavy loads, but they weigh more.

jdyerg

FNG
So I just bought the Paria Tri Fold carbon cork, and took them out for a test run the other day. With pack, I'm pushing 300 pounds. They held up very well. At just under 50 bucks for the set I think that I hit the jackpot!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk