Trekking Poles

I'm looking at getting some trekking poles and it's a new piece of gear for me. Just want to hear what has worked for you guys and what you recommend. I've read about Black Diamond and they seem to be a great option. Look forward to the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought the ones that are sold at Costco .I don't have any experience with trekking poles but they're lightweight and seem to be well built I got the ones with cork handles . actually got them off of Amazon. And they're pretty darn cheap is nice

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have had good luck with different sets of black diamond. Like boots they take a beating and will eventually fail. Black diamond has been good on replacing with premature failure. I tend to run a pair of carbon spikes as they collapse, fit in my pack and are extremely light weight. I can also set up my supertarp with them.

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
I spent some money on mine and don't regret it. Leki Ti Carbon. Outdoor Gear Lab has done some great write ups on gear including trekking poles.

these are what I have too. Got them on sale at Sierra Trading Post. Great poles.

I spent some money on mine and don't regret it. Leki Ti Carbon. Outdoor Gear Lab has done some great write ups on gear including trekking poles.

I got the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork based off the outdoorgearlab reviews. I have no frame of reference to compare to but they have been great and held up well.

I got some Kelty upslope 2.0 from cabelas for $40 total and have been happy with them. I don't think they are very heavy and haven't slipped at all yet.

I do love trekking poles, i'll use them even when I don't have a heavy pack on.

GKPrice

Banned
I just bought the ones that are sold at Costco .I don't have any experience with trekking poles but they're lightweight and seem to be well built I got the ones with cork handles . actually got them off of Amazon. And they're pretty darn cheap is nice

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I bought a set at Costco last week - It took me about 45 seconds to see they were a great deal

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I have Komperdell cork handle fliplock poles for trekking, got them at Sierra Trading Post for good price. I also have Black Diamond flicklock poles for Telemark Skiing that have taken a beating for over 15 years. And I also have some Leki poles for backcountry skiing that also have taken quite a beating for like 20 years, these are twistlock which I don't prefer but they have been fine. These are all aluminum poles.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I picked up some of the Costco brand (from amazon) cascade mountain poles for the kids, but I just got them the aluminum ones. They seem fine for the very low cost ($16). Definitely good intro poles for them and spares to have around.

I'm still running a set of REI poles that have 25yrs of use on them...

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I got the Costco ones this year after reading a bunch of reviews. They seemed to be the best "bang for your buck". I'd never used trekking poles before and after putting several miles on, I don't think I'll ever go back. The only slipping I had on mine was the first trip out-I didn't screw the flip locks tight enough before locking them down. Easily fixed and haven't had any issues since. I got them for $30 and am glad I have them.

Jeremy

mcseal2

WKR

I have the same ones and like them a lot. I've used them setting up my Megatarp too.

boom

WKR
i got the relatively inexpensive ones from REI. REI branded aluminum ones. for some reason, i just like CORK handles. they just feel better to me and seem like they will last longer for me.

i have no issues. they havent slipped on me yet.

Owenst7

WKR
I bought two pairs of the Costco poles in about February of this year. One for me, one for my girlfriend. We've been using them for backpacking since then in off-trail, steep terrain here in the Sierras. I don't really have any complaints with them at all. There's a bunch of reviews and info on them between a few popular backpacking forums. It's my first time using poles, and I figured for $30 they'd be worth the experiment.

Seems like some people don't like the configuration of the carbide tips and the nuts for the locks sound like they don't last forever. Replacing the nuts with nylocks and epoxying in some new tips when/if these fall out is pretty simple and not a concern for me. Costco has an excellent return policy also I suppose, although that seems like more work than just modifying them.

I pulled my IT band pretty bad several weeks ago, and having a trekking pole to put weight on for the rest of the trip was a life saver. They've been really helpful for crossing small streams and with some loose sidehills too. I won't typically carry them on flat-ish day hikes on developed trails, but they're always going with me for steeps, off-trail, or anything where I'm carrying some weight.

I've started experimenting with tarps vs. a tent now too, since these work great for pitching a tarp. I'm going to start practicing shooting with the wrist strap around the foregrip of my rifle also.

I think cam locks are generally more reliable than twist locks, and most of the more expensive ones have threaded tips to make it easier to replace them when they wear out.

My thoughts were that I wanted to start with something cheap and see if I liked using poles, and what features I'd want. If I wanted something more expensive after that, these would be good spares to have at the price point. I don't really see much value in the more expensive ones for my needs after using these, even if I have to buy a new pair every year or two. I'm likely to lose one or two in that period of time anyway.

Last edited:

Seaker574

FNG
I broke a pair of older aluminum Leki poles this fall. I dented the pole and had the webbing come out of the handle. The webbing is a very useful part I found out. I did not break the pole because the Leki was of poor qaulity. I am just hard on things. So I bought 3 pairs of the Costco ones for the same price as the Leki.

I own an aluminum and a carbon set. One weighs 1 pound. The other weighs 8 ounces. Neither pair delivered were $30. Don't get awestruck here. Just Buy a latch lock pair and use them.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
I run Black Diamond carbon z poles. Have tried lots of different black diamond options.

Z poles pack adjustability but they are solid and the most durable.

I prefer carbon for vibration reduction. Also cork if you can get it.