Trespasser gets just 5 years for killing hunter

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
I can't wrap my head around how he only got 5 years.

Rob5589

WKR
He likely won't even serve the entire sentence.
Further proof that gun laws don't work.

RIP

So basically, if you want to get away with murder, invite whoever the target is to hunt. Or just trespass on their property and claim that you thought they were an animal.

Would any of the lawyers on this site (or self proclaimed legal experts) like to weigh-in?

MtnOyster

WKR
The deaths during rifle season in the state of Michigan over the years has been unbelievable, do a little research and you’ll be shocked how many have been killed.

Unless the laws have changed their only hunters orange requirement is an orange cap or hood.

Hard to believe that is the sentence with all those multipliers...trespassing, felony record, and felon in possession of a firearm.

He’ll get out in 2 years, 3 tops.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up in Minnesota and My stepdad would take me up north and we'd hunt, go to the watering hole and BS with friends and people there.
Then you could hear guys talking about their day, with all the "I took 1, 2, 3 sound shots, how the F**** does anyone take a shot at something never seen is beyond me but most were from Chitown or big city else where.
Some people should never be in the field.
Enforce the laws we have and keep guns away from bad guys, insane and sick but don't target the honest, just to push a different agenda.

Broomd

WKR
Disgusting.
It sounds counter-intuitive to wear a headlamp in low-light during deer season, it's likely to spook deer; but I wear two, front and rear-facing, anytime I'm not actually in my tree. Even on our property!

Too many idiots around.

Dunndm

WKR
This is sad... and bull****. That many charges and he gets 5?!? Give me a break. Such crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkduds

WKR
Some ?s. Why did it take the jury 3 days to decide? Were they all related to the shooter? Did the shooter's actions after the shooting somehow lessen his punishment? "Your honor, I give 'um that CRP but he commenced to expire on me!"

Regardless whether the judge or the nutless jury is responsible, it is a travesty of justice.

Beyond the outrageously slim price Barber pays for his actions, is the question of just how (and why) he shot Beutel. No way I can buy the "I thought he wuz a deer" BS. His actions stink of malice and not ignorance.
Regardless of what story was told, I can't help but believe that either he was chemically altered at the time, had intent of crime, or both.
This is beyond tragic.
It's a shame when you can't field dress a deer ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY without posting security or a friend in overwatch.

I’m pretty familiar with this case. The jury deliberated about 3.5 hours. The entire trial was 3 days. Unfortunately in Michigan there are sentencing guidelines that are set that take a lot of the judgement away from the judges.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t have gotten more. I’m just saying with his record that’s what the guidelines showed. I bet he serves the whole five. The felony firearm charge is a two year mandatory consecutive to the other time.

The story is wrong. He wasn’t convinced of being a felon in possession of a firearm, he was convicted of possession of a firearm in commission of a felony.

It was sick to hear the suspect talk about how he had to shoot fast or the “deer” would have gotten away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk