Trespasser gets just 5 years for killing hunter

FLAK

WKR
Talking about "sound shots". I had a guy from Michigan tell me once that he
could tell the way a buck "sounds" when it walks. And that he had, on several occasions
shot into the bushes when he heard that sound.
I certainly hope that's not a regular thing up there.

Netherman

WKR
I'm with you guys on him getting off WAYYYY to light. How is a felon in possession of a firearm an adder rather than a multiplier in cases of firearm crimes?!?

Oh. He wasn't able to possess a firearm but then he got one then shot someone. Seems more like x2-10 than +2.

As a MI resident this really bums me out.

I'm with you guys on him getting off WAYYYY to light. How is a felon in possession of a firearm an adder rather than a multiplier in cases of firearm crimes?!?

Oh. He wasn't able to possess a firearm but then he got one then shot someone. Seems more like x2-10 than +2.

As a MI resident this really bums me out.

Nope, he was legally able to possess the firearm. He committed said felony when he shot the guy. So the prosecutor added in the commission of a felony while possessing a firearm charge. That’s mandatory 2 years in addition to whatever sentence he gets in the original charges.

Agreed. Way to light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDM270WSM

FNG
If that was my family member shot by this piece of shit, he would'nt have served one day because I'd have blown
his head off before he ever got to see a judge or jury. I'd be the one in jail for the rest of my life.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
"Beutel started field-dressing the buck. He was then was shot and killed by Barber, who was just 55 yards away.
According to court records, Barber said he did not see Beutel and thought he was shooting at a deer. The investigative report said that after crossing a road and walking past “No Trespassing” signs, he crested a hill, saw what he thought was a deer, and shot."

This defies any common logic....

This happened in my home state, and everyone is (in my opinion, justifiably) outraged by it. No way he could have confused this man, wearing orange, for a deer at such a short distance. And he was trespassing on top of it.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Whole story makes me sick. That dude should be put under the jail. From the story posted above:

“It may have been a shot that was slightly negligent,” the attorney wrote. “It might have been a shot that was reasonable as taken.”

Either his attorney is a crook or completely ignorant when it comes to hunting and firearm safety.

Last edited:

RHR280AC

FNG
I mean how do you even comment on this? I could get up on my soapbox and rail against the system, the citizens who manned the jury, the judge whatever, but the reality is we are a society of no accountability for ones actions. If I may quote the late great President Ronald Reagen on Accountability: " We must reject the
idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his/her actions."

And my friends, it is only going to get worse. I for one, do not understand how it all went wrong, but stories like this, make you realize that something is indeed very WRONG!

Thanks for letting me put my two cents in on this.
Rg

I mean how do you even comment on this? I could get up on my soapbox and rail against the system, the citizens who manned the jury, the judge whatever, but the reality is we are a society of no accountability for ones actions. If I may quote the late great President Ronald Reagen on Accountability: " We must reject the
idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his/her actions."

And my friends, it is only going to get worse. I for one, do not understand how it all went wrong, but stories like this, make you realize that something is indeed very WRONG!

Thanks for letting me put my two cents in on this.
Rg

Why would you blame the jury? They found him guilty.

Guys, there’s a lesson to be learned here, and it’s been missed entirely. Missed by the bad reporter in the Original post, and anyone commenting so far. No, it’s not, ‘watch out for felons with guns’, when the shooter put his boots on that day, he was not a felon. No, ‘it’s not the system is corrupt’, 12 fair and impartial people spent 3 days on this. The fact that it took 3 days, suggests there is a lot more to it than you can decide in 3 minutes. Ever been on a jury? Try telling the judge you make a great juror, you only need 3 minutes to decide.

The element not spoken of here so far, was mentioned by the reporter who wrote “Death in the woods ”. It jumped out to me quickly.

The guy who got shot in this tragedy made a big mistake, and it contributed to costing him his life. And we know, life is not fair. If you come away with anything from this my friends, it is…

WEAR YOUR BLAZE ORANGE!!!

The world is full of idiots, during gun deer season there are idiots with guns. For some, this is the only time they will handle a gun all year, some are hung over, some have missed opportunities in the past because they acted to slow are ready to shoot anything that moves, quickly. How do we protect ourselves from idiots with guns? We wear blaze orange!

I’ve been traveling northern Wisconsin for nearly 40 years, along with 500,000 other hunters. It seems I read a story like this every year.

Over the years, family, kids and grand kids have traveled with me to hunt or just spend Thanksgiving at the cabin. And they know, the lesson of blaze orange does not stop at the woods. Whether it’s the family track star that wants out go out for a jog, walk the dog, or the kids that just want to play in the yard. Wear your blaze orange that week! You could be jogging down the road, totally in the right. But you’d be dead right. If you came across an idiot with a gun that had been willing-himself to see a deer for days.

Sled

WKR
Talking about "sound shots". I had a guy from Michigan tell me once that he
could tell the way a buck "sounds" when it walks. And that he had, on several occasions
shot into the bushes when he heard that sound.
I certainly hope that's not a regular thing up there.

Wow, if he were in my neck of the woods he could have killed a dad and two young kids this year. Sounded just like a cow with 2 calves walking up on me from the other side of the brush. I had tracked them and bumped them once already. I was able to talk to the dad and kids who were just out having a great day hunting. 20 to 30 minutes later I shot my cow. Wish people would take hunting responsibilities seriously.

Bravo 4

FNG
Journeyman,
I know responses in writing can sometimes get misinterpreted, and I hope this is the case here. But reading your response I can’t help but read this as you placing some of the blame on the fella that got shot. That would be like saying if I were driving down the road-doing the speed limit-wearing my seatbelt-doing nothing wrong- and some A-hole runs a stop sign and t-bones me, that I should be somewhat responsible because my truck wasn’t brightly colored so he could have seen me better. Sounds like 100% negligence on the shooter’s part and 100% his fault.

In Michigan it is legal to wear only a blaze orange hat. The victim was. From the angle he was shot (bent over gutting) the hat MAY not have been visible. Shooter saw movement and because he had killed deer in that spot before shot at the movement.

Like stated there was three days of testimony. The jury convicted in a few hours. Blaming the victim even a little doesn’t hold water.

That being said I have (and now always will) hang a hat or orange vest on a tree when dressing a critter.

IdahoElk

WKR
My guess is there was friction between these two families before this incident, words were spoken and someone was killed, the antics that took place after the guy was shot kind of proves they weren't interested in letting the victim tell his side of the story.
Proving intent without having evidence is probably why he was given such light sentence.

Those outraged by this should read Ted Kennedy's version of what happened at Chappaquiddick and how he then became a senator for 40yrs.

Last edited:

Savagenut

WKR
Did you know that he waited to call 911? Did you know if would have called 911 right away he probably would still be alive? Did you know he came up in the guy while he was still alive and didn’t offer help? This absolutely murder.