Trespassing / Posting Public Land Stories

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to hear any stories you guys or gals might have about legitimate trespassing encounters, as well as individuals claiming public land as their own and how the situation was handled. I read about a couple of experiences on various misc threads and found the subject interesting. Unfortunately, I don’t have one to start off the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Used to hunt a duck club that had a creek border. The club flooded every year, some years would be 6-8' under water. Guys thought they were entitled to hunt the high water line once the water receded and would trespass. Called the sheriff and hed set them straight and they'd move down the creek and try and pull the same stunt on the next club. We would have to go pull all the deeks at the first sign of flood stage because these same gang would steal the decoys because they were left on a "navigable" body of water.
I've also found hundreds of no trespassing signs here in California and all across the west on public property

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
Bubba94

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
I like when I bump into people and they tell me they have permission from the owner to be there.

After a while if their jabbering I tell them I am the owner.

That happens to my uncle (rancher) all the time.

OP
Bubba94

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
Used to hunt a duck club that had a creek border. The club flooded every year, some years would be 6-8' under water. Guys thought they were entitled to hunt the high water line once the water receded and would trespass. Called the sheriff and hed set them straight and they'd move down the creek and try and pull the same stunt on the next club. We would have to go pull all the deeks at the first sign of flood stage because these same gang would steal the decoys because they were left on a "navigable" body of water.
I've also found hundreds of no trespassing signs here in California and all across the west on public property

Did those guys ever get nailed for repeat offending?

amassi

WKR
Did those guys ever get nailed for repeat offending?

All the time, its generational now. Their kids pull the same stuff

First year here in Utah this year and I’ve heard horror stories already about people blocking access to public and claiming it as there own. It won’t stop me but I’m prepared for the worst when I go out.

It is entertaining when people think public land is theirs and theirs only. I’m a very courteous person and if I run into someone hunting an area I’m interested in I will find somewhere else far enough away not to bother them etc. But when they are jacka$&@ well i can be one also.

OP
Bubba94

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
All the time, its generational now. Their kids pull the same stuff

They should all have their hunting licenses revoked.

BuzzH

WKR
Had a landowner throw a t-post and a sign in the middle of a county road, this sign to be exact.

1111161407.jpg

I actually called and talked to him, told him my exact plans, where I intended to go, where I would be camped, and I would be using this road.

I had been in this area hunting before, actually ran into him a few years prior. The guy is a total tool.

When I found this sign (yes, that is a county road), I called a buddy who sent the picture and GPS cords of the sign to the Sheriff.

In the meantime, I drove right around the sign and continued my successful hunt, with myself and a buddy each killing elk a couple days later. The sign was gone when we went out.

According to the sheriff the guy was claiming that the county road had drifted past the official right of way over time. The Sheriff gave this idiot 2 choices: 1. Pay to have the road re-surveyed or 2. get ticketed for illegally posting the existing county road if he didn't remove the sign.

He chose to remove the sign...imagine that.

I have ran into the " No hunting or trespassing on private property behind this sign". The problem is the signs are a half mile from the private property. Very misleading if you ask me. The sheriff said it is perfectly legal.

OP
Bubba94

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
I have ran into the " No hunting or trespassing on private property behind this sign". The problem is the signs are a half mile from the private property. Very misleading if you ask me. The sheriff said it is perfectly legal.

I’d pay no mind to that personally. If stopped I would just say “I’m not on the private property behind that sign.”

OP
Bubba94

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
And have the maps with me to prove it.

They are posted on a fence line. Very deceiving unless you have good map or onx. I pay no mind to it now but had me fooled until I researched it.

I`m sure it fools many.

In my opinion they should get a littering ticket for leaving trash on public property.

OP
Bubba94

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
They are posted on a fence line. Very deceiving unless you have good map or onx. I pay no mind to it now but had me fooled until I researched it.

I`m sure it fools many.

I wonder if the sheriff allows it because the signage is *technically* correct, although vague. At some point behind the sign, there is private property.

ShakeDown

WKR
This weekend I had a rancher run me down on national grassland and ask what I was doing. I asked him why that was his business in turn. We went round a bit with him trying to bluff me. In the end after he said he was calling the sheriff and I replied go right ahead, and while he was at it call the local game officer because I had a harassment claim to make... he cussed me and sped off.

A while later he caught back up with me and apologized, saying he has had issues with people shooting at his cattle that he runs on the public land I was on.

I wonder if the sheriff allows it because the signage is *technically* correct, although vague. At some point behind the sign, there is private property.

The story I got is the owner is a retired sheriff.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider

I`m sure it fools many.

In my opinion they should get a littering ticket for leaving trash on public property.

This stuff drives me bananas. I am sure it's illegal in some states and should be everywhere. Public land belongs to all of us and no one should be allowed to bluff people off of it.

I just scouted out a new access point yesterday to some BLM property and found an electric gate over one road and several "no trespassing" signs on public ground. I will be ignoring the signs, but the gate blows me away. That kind of nonsense makes me nervous to park my truck and walk away from it out of fear some angry neighbor will break a window or slash a tire...

I guess one could ask a game warden what their thoughts are on it if that’s truly the case.

In cases where I’ve encountered it game wardens will not get into those types of disputes. They defer to the sherif etc. In some places we’ve looked into some large ranches have secured their private county roads by well funding the sheriffs dept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk