Trex arms: short draw bow options

Keedman

FNG
Currently looking to upgrade from my bear cruzer I got back in 2015. I feel enough industry improvement has been made to make it worth it. I also have a short draw Currently at 26" 70lbs. Currently my arrows are 495grn at 230fps give or take a few.
I would love to get back to the 250fps range with the same arrow. Any advice tips is appreciated.
I'm in socal not many bow shops to go try them out either. But if I can get a few model recommendations to call around for it would help.

I think the most energy you are going to find in a short draw bow right now is going to be the Mathews Prima.

My quick math is saying you will need a 345+ ibo bow to get 250 @ 498 gr with 26". Some bows are more efficient at lower draw lengths than others, shorter ata helps as they have less to get moving initially. I'd probably drop a little weight off the arrow, go to 450-460 grain.

Pbast81

FNG
Allen Bolen just put a video about this on his Instagram yesterday. If I knew how I would share it here, his account is public so you could look it up. Anyways he shortens his d loop and wrist release and shoots with his middle finger to get an extra inch of draw length. He has a really good explanation of it and proper draw length in the video I think it would be worth watching.

Using a rule of thumb of 10 fps loss per inch of draw length under 30", I came up with an IBO speed around 340 fps needed to achieve 495 gr/250 fps at 26"/70#. Many current/recent 6" brace height bows are around the 340 fps IBO mark, and most go down to 26" DL. Not all bows will perform the same relative to IBO at shorter draw lengths and higher arrow weights, but it shouldn't be too difficult to achieve what you're after with something around 340 fps IBO.

Last edited: