Tricer AD and Tricer head… or slick and VA5 ?

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Needing a new tripod. Very interested in the Tricer. But also am looking at the slick 733 or 624 with VA5 head…. Anyone have first hand comparison with these two?

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a tricer AD after three sliks and two manfrottos. Ive had two slik 634s and a 522. Im using the va5 head on the tricer and, so far, its everything ive ever wanted for glassing. I use an 88mm kowa spotter and maven 15s. The glass nor the tripod are ideal for backpacking, but i have mules carry everything most places. If backpacking and using lighter glass, i would look into the tricer head and BC tripod but dont have first hand experience with either.

Someday i will shoot off it but i prefer a ballhead for that.

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a tricer AD after three sliks and two manfrottos. Ive had two slik 634s and a 522. Im using the va5 head on the tricer and, so far, its everything ive ever wanted for glassing. I use an 88mm kowa spotter and maven 15s. The glass nor the tripod are ideal for backpacking, but i have mules carry everything most places. If backpacking and using lighter glass, i would look into the tricer head and BC tripod but dont have first hand experience with either.

Someday i will shoot off it but i prefer a ballhead for that.
Thanks for the insight. I like to be able to stand while glassing when there’s tall brush so definitely leaning AD. Since I don’t own a good head I may go with the Tricer head as well. I’ve used a Vortex carbon summit for about 8 years and on my last elk hunt it pretty much just fell apart all together throughout the 8 days of hard use and tons of glassing. Going to send it in and have it fixed or replaced. But it Will only be used as a back up from now on.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Having used the VA5 and tricer - if you care about weight, not sure why you’d pick a VA5. The tricer is just so light, and works really well. The VA5 is nice and a good price, but it’s a boat anchor when comparing to that tricer.

I have a Tricer LP and while it is very lightweight I would take the weight penalty to have a lever release over a knob. I much prefer flipping a lever and removing/swapping my optics versus turning a knob.

I'd look at the Really Right Stuff PT Scout with SC ARC clamp.

What’s the reason you prefer the Wiser?
It is more expensive but USA made, can fold all the way down on tripod, comes with ARCA plate, Sealed bearings supposedly, everything is just tight when putting on a full spotter. I like the way it handles and isn’t much heavier. If you can find one used it is similar price to Tricer. Tricer was nice I did really like it but when I picked up a Wiser and compared side by side it was an easy choice for me. Hope that helps.

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
It is more expensive but USA made, can fold all the way down on tripod, comes with ARCA plate, Sealed bearings supposedly, everything is just tight when putting on a full spotter. I like the way it handles and isn’t much heavier. If you can find one used it is similar price to Tricer. Tricer was nice I did really like it but when I picked up a Wiser and compared side by side it was an easy choice for me. Hope that helps.
Very helpful thank you!

Wiser or Tricer on the Aziak tripod. I had the Wiser but swapped to Tricer, I found them pretty much equal.
Yeah I’ve been impressed with my LP compared to the VA5. Actually found that it pans smoother so long as the optic is balanced correctly and isn’t super heavy.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used the VA-5 the last two seasons, they are heavier than I like compared to other options out there and between the three VA-5’s in the group of guys I hunt with, the locking mechanism for ARCA plates is on the low end and the tolerances are different on all three. I replaced mine with a Tricer pan head and have GW ball head coming.

Anyone In this thread try the Tricer bino adapter and studs? I think Im going to pull the trigger on the Tricer head, but looking at tricer adapter vs outdoorsman.

Why a clamp over a stud? Does it bug you that it’s off center?
I can attach it to ANY bino by adjusting the strap. Not all binos have a threaded hole to mount a stud. Also it is always on my binos and goes directly on my ball head and get to glassing. Versus putting riser on ball head and then binos on riser.

It does not bother me being off-center.

WRO

WKR

The owner of weiser is a great guy, absolutely worth the extra to support a great guy and American made. Plus it’s rebuild able which is sweet. I go through a head every couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoBeav

WKR
The VA-5 is a great head. I personally think it's too big for a 600 series Slik. I have them on a 733 and an 824 for glassing from the road. As mentioned in this thread, the Wiser Nighthawk is a great head. It's tough as nails and light. This is the one I pack. I think it pairs nicely with a 633 or 634.

FYI, you can always get the Wiser for 10% off from S&S with code Rokslide.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

The owner of weiser is a great guy, absolutely worth the extra to support a great guy and American made. Plus it’s rebuild able which is sweet. I go through a head every couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome! I have been very impressed!!!

I’ve just started using a Tricer BC with a Wiser Nighthhawk. Overall it’s a great lightweight set up but I do have some gripes:

The footprint on the Tricer BC is pretty narrow compared to others on the ‘normal’ setting. Also, I went with the BC after seeing the AD was longer than a pack frame all collapsed. The head adapter piece on the Tricer does not allow the Wiser handle to fold all the way flat. I took it off and haven’t had any issues with the head staying secure. It’s likely a Tricer head would no have this issue.

On the Wiser, maybe it’s learning curve… but I wish I could control the panning tension from locking to free with the head angled up or down. As it stands, if you’re looking at steep angles you cannot get a full rotation on that knob to tighten/loosen the pan. Maybe it just needs to be in a certain ‘almost locked’ state at all times.