Tricer GTP-III: Worth the Money?

Has anyone out there put the GTP-III from Tricer to the test? They’re a new company, and this is one of their first products so it makes me a little nervous to ditch the tried and true tripod for this system. Especially for an MSRP of $360 not including the added cost of the extra trekking pole.

However, I just downsized to a Kowa 554 scope so stability is less of a concern at this point, and this tripod offers HUGE weight savings. With the GTP-III, outdoorsmans micro pan head, one extra trekking pole and the Kowa 554 we’re talking only 51.5oz or 3.2lbs. That’s insane considering my zeiss Diascope weighed 4.4lbs alone!

Anyway, interested to see if anyone has taken the leap and what their thoughts are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just started looking at these and in searching found your post. $360 seemed like allot but it could be worth it on some hunts. I'm also wanting to eventually pair it with the Kowa 554 my slik tripod and benro fluid head come out to 3ibs alone right now and my Athlon spotter is about the same thats a big difference and I'm carrying 2 of the trekking poles anyways. I glass with my binos on a tripod allot and I think this could work really well for that. I'd be curious to know if you ended up getting one?

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at this option, and almost bought it on sale.

My primary hang up is that I use my trekking poles for my shelter.

I don’t want to have to break it down every day to glass. Maybe that’s dumb when I could save significant weight, but that’s where I’m at.

OP
thegoosano
I did end up getting it on sale for $210. I’m still waiting on my second set of trekking poles I ordered since they were back ordered, but this thing is pretty sweet.

Definitely connects to black diamond poles the best. I used S&S poles at first and they had a lot of slop which was a big deal for me after spending all that money on the Tricer. So I returned them and ordered a second pair of the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Corks. Should have more info after I get the system pieced together by the end of the month, I’ll be taking it javelina hunting here in NM which will be a nice little test run and report back!

I just saw an advertisement for this. Seems like a great idea.

Are the legs able to be locked to different angles or just one?

OP
thegoosano
I just saw an advertisement for this. Seems like a great idea.

Are the legs able to be locked to different angles or just one?

That right there is one of two things I would suggest get modified in the next version. There is no lock that stops any individual leg from going past a set angle so it can feel kinda wonky. However, since there is no center post for quick height adjustment, this does make it easy to get some fast adjustment of your optics height when needed.

And speaking of center post, that would be my next suggestion. I know the idea is for this to be ultralight but I’m sure there is a way to add an optional center post like on the Sliks. It would turn this GTP III into a truly full featured tripod.

Despite those two suggestions, it’s been performing beautifully. Extremely well built and stable with the black diamond poles. Would not hesitate at all to take this on a long back country hunt. I’ll be ibex and Barbary hunting in the next month and will continue to test it out and hopefully will have photos next time to add.

tam9492

WKR
I have the GTP-III in-hand and a Kowa 553 on the way. Will report back after some use - I plan on making a video review.

JakeSCH

WKR
I ran the GTP-III and GTP-RS this last year. I am head over heals on the RS highly recommend that to every one.

The GTP-III on the other hand took a little bit of getting use to. The legs have a tension screw to keep it loaded so that it can adjust to different angles stay there (it will only stay if legs are on ground). I think that is where the getting use to comes into play, because you do not have the center post adjustment.

On the flip side, I've run my Kowa 883 on it and it has worked well and it very stable for the weight. I also personally like having a 3rd trekking pole as a backup incase one breaks on the packout.

At the end of the day, if I am going somewhere where saving weight is needed, I will absolutely take this system...but I don't think I will ever get rid of my standard tripod and will still use them for short day trips.

OP
thegoosano
Just an update after spending the last couple months doing some summer high country scouting with this little guy.

I have been very pleased overall. Only con really is that it can be a little tedious to piece it together when I’m in a hurry to glass something. I’ve gotten used to how the legs work and haven’t really felt I needed a center post at the end of the day.

Durability wise it has held up very well. No issues with dirt or grit getting in the joints and affecting the legs. The screw down grommets (?) are also very smooth and working as new still.

Some images taken with my Kowa 554, iPhone X and Phoneskope off the GTP-III

0805910ad70ab225db11885edc291ff0.jpg

dc0e4b56f7ef25ef530f13eb25045030.jpg

96d14d0c0b6bda07a35ad07bbe3d0984.jpg

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Tricer GTP-II which uses only two trekking poles, it's pretty awesome and stable. It's been a good option so far on training hikes when I'm not carrying a tripod. I haven't tried to glass all day from it so I'm curious how comfortable it will be.

slatty

WKR
That looks cool but that looks like such a pain in the ass to set up. Unless you're really needing to count ounces I just don't get it. My slik tripod, or my KDC granite peak for that matter, work really well. Just saying..

JakeSCH

WKR
That looks cool but that looks like such a pain in the ass to set up. Unless you're really needing to count ounces I just don't get it. My slik tripod, or my KDC granite peak for that matter, work really well. Just saying..

I agree, it is a little annoying when you first get started using them / setting up but I love the space savings in my pack. I use my GTP-III for overnight backpacking trips and my slik for day trips.

I have the Tricer GTP-II which uses only two trekking poles, it's pretty awesome and stable. It's been a good option so far on training hikes when I'm not carrying a tripod. I haven't tried to glass all day from it so I'm curious how comfortable it will be.

My buddy carries his with a shooting V on his GTP-II and treats them like shooting sticks while hiking. It has worked really well for him, been tempted to try that on my III as well.

OP
thegoosano

It saves a pound over my slik 634 and that includes carrying a third trekking pole. So for scouting trips in the summer when I’m covering 20mi in a day at 12k ft I grab it every time. For my actual hunt where I’m sitting one basin a day and need a quick setup, the slik will probably go with me. The GTP-III is definitely just a luxury in the summer to save some good weight.

WRM

WKR
I have a Trailpix ultralight head which is very similar, but lighter and way cheaper. No longer in production, it appears.

I too often want to leave my tarp shelter that needs a pole set up. I normally use the BD alpine ergo cork. For my third pole, I modified a different BD pole that has a factory threaded insert in the handle. I put the Outdoorsman's' adapter on that, and it gets a lot of use as a monopod shooting stick with their V. But, I can also put my little Kowa on it to check out better what I've spotted with the 15s. Makes a very light approach to get enough stability to use the optics. Not a replacement for a tripod if you are planning to sit and glass with a spotter, but has it's place.