Tried a clicker

So I have been trying a clicker for the last week because I thought it would be a fun experiment. I was wrong i hated it! It was very distracting, I am an instinctive shooter at all distances and for some reason it really throws my shot sequence off. I gave it a week and ripped it off today! right back to tight groups. How many purely instinctive shooters are using a clicker?

Wrench

WKR
I'm not sure of my aiming method nomenclature, I pick a spot and shoot it.....but I triple click in the process. It keeps me honest.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I just bought a clicker and thought I'd give it a try. I haven't attached it yet but will report my experience once I do. I'd describe my shooting as split-vision but I do have a tendency to short-draw so maybe a clicker will help. Interested to hear from others.

sveltri

WKR
I shot with one for quite awhile, it greatly improved my accuracy. The greatest benefit for me was being able to separate my aim and my release. Tom Clum has a new psycho trigger that I believe has been released that I like better than a clicker. What was your reason for going to one; draw check or psycho trigger?

LostArra

WKR
I used a clicker for a while in practice but it's in a drawer now. It was helpful shooting at a bale but a distraction to me when hunting. I probably didn't stick with it long enough so it's not the clicker's fault.

OP
Justin.Medcalf
I shot with one for quite awhile, it greatly improved my accuracy. The greatest benefit for me was being able to separate my aim and my release. Tom Clum has a new psycho trigger that I believe has been released that I like better than a clicker. What was your reason for going to one; draw check or psycho trigger?
I was thinking psycho trigger, but I shoot way better with it off the bow. Maybe I just didn't give it long enough.

sveltri

WKR
It took me a couple weeks to get comfortable with it. I think it can help everyone, even if they are snap shooting, it should ensure they are getting to the same draw length. I get pretty bad target panic shortly after removing it. I aim instinctively and pretty easily link my aim to my release as soon as the sight picture looks good, that opens the door for a lot of bad things to happen to my shot. I shot with a guy yesterday that was using one for a draw check, when he clicked he absolutely drilled, when he didn't it was a noticeably weaker shot, some ok some not.

sndmn11

WKR
it should ensure they are getting to the same draw length.

This is why I use it. I can't expect my brain to learn the arrow path if my arrow is seeing a wide variance in velocity due to inconsistent draw length. If you watch someone shot who isn't consistent, my money is on draw length variance being a big part of that. Just look for the guys who have 1' of arrow past the shelf when they release.

I shot many head of big game with a clicker on my finger shot compounds with sight pins from around 1988 until I started shooting a release in 2005. Squared away target panic and allowed me to aim.

Cy14561

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot instinctive and use one. I’m left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I really don’t even see the riser in sight picture just the spot, I went To one because of target panic at first I hated it and my shooting really regressed. but after fighting with it and hating it for a couple months, I wouldnt Go back. My shooting continues to improve as well as my shot control, it’s been 2 years with a clicker and I love em. Im not sure if there for everyone but it works for me

I use a clicker or psychotrigger at all times. Used properly it is the best way to deal with target panic for me.

Tom Clum has a new psycho trigger that I believe has been released that I like better than a clicker. What was your reason for going to one; draw check or psycho trigger?
Have you switched to this rumored trigger? Care to share what it is? I can't find any info on it.

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot instinctive and use one. I’m left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I really don’t even see the riser in sight picture just the spot, I went To one because of target panic at first I hated it and my shooting really regressed. but after fighting with it and hating it for a couple months, I wouldnt Go back. My shooting continues to improve as well as my shot control, it’s been 2 years with a clicker and I love em. Im not sure if there for everyone but it works for me
I'm just testing the waters with traditional archery just traded a compound for one. But anyways I'm curious how ur left eye dominant affects you? Cause I'm left eye and shoot right and somtimes wonder if it would b worth switching??? Wonder if i could learn faster or easier?? But my bow came with a clicker and I immediately took it off cause that's why I would go trad is to go trad not add more gadgets like my compound but I'm sure it would b awesome for a consistent anchor

Cy14561

Lil-Rokslider
Some people say if your starting out and left eye dominant you should shoot left handed, I don’t know if that would work for everyone. Especially if you have shot a bow for a while before the switch like I did. But I do think it’s tougher to shoot tighter groups being left eye dominant, because even if you shoot instinctive right eye right handed you do have a sight picture of the riser and arrow to a point which i would think would help at least with left and rights. So in short I think you can do it. Try it and see. That’s one of the things I like about the Trad bow the Less technology and gadgets opens it up to shoot the bow almost any style you like or works for you. In the end the only thing that matters to all of us is where the arrow hits who cares how it gets there

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
Ya that's the thing is I've shot all my guns and compounds right handed so it would feel awkward to switch although I can shoot a shotgun left handed but ya so far that's wat I've noticed it's definitely a different sight picture I think and left and right misses are common

Wrench

WKR
I'm also right handed and left eye dominant. I can shoot pretty decent if I focus.....buy I can screw it up better than most too.

bobinmi

WKR
I tried it and turned into a basket case. Ive never struggled with target panic. I had no intention of using it as a "psycho-trigger". I wanted to use it to more as a draw check to keep me honest. As snyder says I was shaking like a cat shitting choker chain trying to get that thing to break over. I'm gonna give it another go this summer. I started playing with it in september and it was way to close to the season for what turned out to be a drastic change.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you left eye dominant and right-hand shooters - I read Joel Turner uses a recurve that has the shelf cut for a left-handed shooter but the handle for a right-handed shooter. He doesn't do it for reasons related to eye dominance but it occurs to me that it might help your situation. Just a thought.

sveltri

WKR
Have you switched to this rumored trigger? Care to share what it is? I can't find any info on it

Yes I have been running a prototype. I am not sure if I am at liberty to post any pics or not. I wanted to get some additional shooting in "under pressure" and outside of hunting so I shot the Colorado ASA indoor 3d this year. I shot all 4 tournaments and saw a pretty drastic improvement from start to finish. Clickers (draw length checks) are not allowed in ASA so I had to remove the clicker. The first two shoots are without the new trigger and the last two were with. My scores, in order of shoot dates are as follows: 236, 246, 288, 288. Stripping off the clicker immediately allowed my target panic to kick my ass. The new trigger benefits me most by requiring a much stronger bow arm (not necessarily strength, but a greater consciousness of what the shoulder is doing), an opportunity to verify finger pressure (I have a bad habit of too much ring finger pressure), and a distinct separation of my aim, expansion, and release. I can't wait for them to be released!!

Beendare

WKR
SVELTRI, thoughtful post...informative thanks for that. Q- that setup won't work with a BH will it? [I'm assuming its one of those levers that slides over the FP]

A clicker or trigger is a good idea as it helps with a consistent draw.

I used one for awhile and it affected the expansion into my shot so I dumped it.

______