Tried a clicker

sveltri

WKR
SVELTRI, thoughtful post...informative thanks for that. Q- that setup won't work with a BH will it? [I'm assuming its one of those levers that slides over the FP]

A clicker or trigger is a good idea as it helps with a consistent draw.

I used one for awhile and it affected the expansion into my shot so I dumped it.

______

It will work with any arrow configuration, it is not a draw check.

I shot with one for quite awhile, it greatly improved my accuracy. The greatest benefit for me was being able to separate my aim and my release. Tom Clum has a new psycho trigger that I believe has been released that I like better than a clicker. What was your reason for going to one; draw check or psycho trigger?
what is Tom Clum's new trigger? I heard him mention it a while back but haven't seen it

edit: saw your later reply, thanks. looking forward to seeing whatever it is

Are there any other draw checks asides from a clicker?
I feel my mental control is reasonably solid however i'd definitely benefit from a draw check

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 60 and have been shooting trad gear since I was about 8 . . . many years of largely undisciplined, unfocused shooting. Decided some years ago to get better and improved a lot BUT there is always room for improvement. So I picked up a clicker and installed it yesterday. My first impression is that it will help but will take a bit of work. Will provide my experience after a month or so of using. I'm interested in hearing the experiences of others so please let me know how it worked for you!

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to make a new post but with the last comment figured I would just bump this. I grew up shooting longbows then recurves then from 2000 until this year i shot a compound. My buddy and dad talked me into shooting a recurve again.. i was anxious to say the least.
When I got it back out I had the same issues I always had. I'm left eye dominate and shoot a right hand bow. I have always been a snap shooter. Some shots would be perfect some would be far enough off that it made my confidence less than desired. Took my bow to RMS for some assistance. Ended up getting a grip clicker.
The grip clicker at first was a nice change, it gave me something to look forward to getting to my draw but i found it to inconsistent.. i will say i most likely dont have it placed EXACTLY where it needs to be. I feel like they have a place and probably work great for some people. I am not that person.
I went right back to snap shooting as i said i could not get the consistency I needed.

I went back to RMS and got a traditional clicker. I shot approximately 2 to 3 arrows there and was already feeling like I was able to get some consistency.

The next morning I went to the 3d range and I was confident shot after shot and 30-35 yards I'm stupid confident. Shot after shot was exactly where I wanted it. I have never been so confident with my gear as I am right now.
As I was going through the 3D course I noticed that both clickers were going off at almost the same time so maybe at some point I will be able to just use the grip one but for now I'm going with what gives me confidence.. because confidece is what is needed when shooting.

I freaking love RMS. Those guys are always crazy helpful and awesome to deal with, which is why I don't mind giving them all my money every time I go in.

Anyway my suggestion to anyone with shooting issues is to keep searching for different products or videos/ideas until you find what makes you confident and keep shooting!

Pics for fun, oh and pass on the traditions! Took my 7 year old with his longbow.

Attachments

• 20200711_082116.jpg
    20200711_082116.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200711_082815.jpg
    20200711_082815.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200711_090052.jpg
    20200711_090052.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 16

LanceM

FNG
Not purely instinctive, but had similar results with the clicker. I think one would help me, but I have a hard time with it. I'm going to give it one more shot in the next week or so before season starts.

This is my first year with trad gear after years with a compound. I've got the left/right dialed, but my pattern tends to string vertically. The only thing I can figure is inconsistent draw length, which I hope a clicker will solve.

I put a clicker on my recurve last fall, started having issues with TP and the clicker helped me get into the hold at anchor and expand pulling through the shot. I killed two whitetails with the clicker, both heard it BTW but died anyhow. I have since removed the clicker, it was a crutch and it did it's job and got me back on track. As far as why I needed it and what really helped me understand was watching a video Tom Clum did where he answered a question that had been in my mind for a long time. The question being; once your bow arm is set do you continue to consciously focus on the spot or focus on increasing tension. Since your conscious mind can only do one thing at a time; The answer was to concentrate on adding tension, Tom gave an excellent example of allowing the subconscious to take over and keep you set on the target. Allowing you to focus on only increasing tension until the shot breaks... it is not as easy as it sounds because for me it felt like I was giving up "control" over where the arrow was going. It took a lot of convincing myself that the "control" came from giving the job to my subconscious and trusting it to do it's job and that only concentrating on expansion gave me better results in tighter groups.

Reactions: GMC
I put a clicker on my recurve last fall, started having issues with TP and the clicker helped me get into the hold at anchor and expand pulling through the shot. I killed two whitetails with the clicker, both heard it BTW but died anyhow. I have since removed the clicker, it was a crutch and it did it's job and got me back on track. As far as why I needed it and what really helped me understand was watching a video Tom Clum did where he answered a question that had been in my mind for a long time. The question being; once your bow arm is set do you continue to consciously focus on the spot or focus on increasing tension. Since your conscious mind can only do one thing at a time; The answer was to concentrate on adding tension, Tom gave an excellent example of allowing the subconscious to take over and keep you set on the target. Allowing you to focus on only increasing tension until the shot breaks... it is not as easy as it sounds because for me it felt like I was giving up "control" over where the arrow was going. It took a lot of convincing myself that the "control" came from giving the job to my subconscious and trusting it to do it's job and that only concentrating on expansion gave me better results in tighter groups.

It's funny, Rod Jenkins talks about it being exactly the opposite - you have to focus your conscious mind on aiming and let your subconscious run the shot. If I had to pick I lean toward Clum being correct there, but I know nothing and both guys are clearly awesome coaches.