Tried on my own - fail. Scope bases for Weatherby? Help.

Bluto

WKR
I tried to make the call without another “which rings” thread and searched for a week - terrible F.

Seekins rings showed up, no issue. The only two piece bases I could find were Warne, not even close to a fit. I wanted a set of Burris xtreme tactical bases, they don’t make a set for Weatherby 6 lug/non magnum Mark V. Burris says to ask W’by; W’by says to buy ones made for W’by.

Does anyone make a set of bases for a weatherby that will hold Seekins rings? (No interest in a one one piece rail.)

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Nope. Just running off of info and threads here and 24hr campfire. (And the assumption that either the rifle or base manufacturer could bridge the gap.)

Fair question though. It just seems like the rings are relatively universal and the other two are specific. Still, no reason not to ask. 👍🏻

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Definitely would! There are loads of one piece rail options, I’m just not interested in a rail for this gun and this application, so the search continues for a two piece base option.

Rich M

WKR
Most scope mounts and rings come specific for a given gun. I always ran with that info.

Most picatinny or rail mounts are universal.

FWIW - I hate rails too. Would prefer an integral 2 piece or 1 piece.

Hope you get it figured.

Just curious why not a 1pc rail especially if your using some nice rings like the seekins?
Have you looked at the titanium mount from Murphy precision?

sndmn11

WKR
These should work? Is this what you tried originally?

I had thought pic rings likely do not fit on a weaver base, but a weaver ring will fit on a pic base. I could be wrong, but I thought the weaver spec slot/key was narrower than the pic spec.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
I had thought pic rings likely do not fit on a weaver base, but a weaver ring will fit on a pic base. I could be wrong, but I thought the weaver spec slot/key was narrower than the pic spec.

This is spot on. (And to answer the question on the link - Yep, those are the ones I have in hand, the ill fit is as described by sndmn11.)

I thought I had purchased a set that would fit both, that’s not the case. Too many websites blended together I suppose trying to find a set of bases so I ordered them. No dice.

@Cahunter805 there isn’t a massive list of reasons, other than preference for this rifle. Not a fan of the section covering the magazine on my Weatherby.

And mostly, I’m just so surprised that it’s this difficult to find a set of bases that work.

I thought sndmn11 was joking about cutting a rail, but I may be down to that. Still hard to believe bases are this scarce for a Weatherby Mark V.

sndmn11

WKR
I thought sndmn11 was joking about cutting a rail, but I may be down to that. Still hard to believe bases are this scarce for a Weatherby Mark V.

Honestly, I would have much more piece of mind starting with a one piece bedded to the action and then cutting it. You would have the best chance of the two bases being as perfectly in line as possible because they started off as one. The cutting would take all of 5-10 minutes.

If you want a 2pc pic rail you might have to cut a 1pc rail up. Very easy to do with a cutoff wheel. Use a file to round/smooth the edges and a touch of paint to color them.
You can also just mill out the rail to match the magazine cutout. Easy to bolt the rail on and the scribe it from the underside of the action. Then cut it out.

260madman

WKR
I looked last night for 2pc bases and it doesn’t look like there’s anything out there unless it’s Weaver style. Best bet is find a low profile pic rail and cut it. I like mine low for cheekweld. Warne is probably the one to get. Leupold Backcountry is $50 but I’m not familiar with the height and depending on scope and ring height may work out just fine. EGW is not my cup of tea anymore but I haven’t replaced the ones I have because I’m lazy. I’d prefer the pic slots not be open in the middle like EGW.

I have a Weaver rail for my wife’s M7 3 hole action. I bought a M700 rail and am going to cut the back off of it to match the receiver profile. Gotta do whatcha gotta do.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Update. Kind of?

Definitely no options for pic bases. So, I bought everything I could find to fit, hopefully this will save someone else time and money and frustration. The first stage is disbelief - that no one makes a set of bases. It’s really bizarre to me, but it is what it is.

CCF632AF-78A7-4CDF-8966-85BA4B001536.jpeg

Picture is jacked, doesn’t really matter. I’ve collected Warne bases (NOT picatinny. I don’t care what their website says, they are weaver and only weaver.) Warne rings. Talley one piece pic rail (empty package.) Seekins lows. And Talley lightweight lows.

*PLEASE NOTE: This is only in reference to items that fit short action/6 lug Weatherby Mark V rifles. Not likely applicable to anything else.

Warne - bases aren’t compatible with any high end rings, so don’t bother.

Warne Maxima Rings - weaver style, feel like they weight more than the scope. Maybe the mountain tech’s are nicer, I’ve heard good things. But Seekins are available cheaper, more on that.

Talley rail - it’s a chunk of lightweight metal. So, it’s nice? Fits the action perfect, even lighter than I thought it would be. Ugly as sin on the rifle, confirms what I thought about not wanting a rail.

Seekins - reputation is spot on and customer service is well above average. Super light, and there is no doubt that are precision cut and align perfectly on the rail.

Talley lightweights - look far better, lighter than the Seekins, not as beefy. Unfortunately, I can’t get the same alignment out of them and I am not lapping rings this day and age. There’s a chance I’m being ultra picky here, because the relief adjustment and height are spot on. (If I lay the scope in the rings and twist it it makes very slight marks on the scope and feels like it’s rubbing. The Seekins don’t.)

As of today, I’m too chicken sh!t to start cutting up rifle parts but this will likely change. The rail with the Seekins rings aligns and is almost as light, but it’s uglier than a bowling shoe and loading the magazine is a royal pain. (That’s in my house sitting at a table with a light. Cold weather before daylight with gloves on? Forget it.) So, with more than one recommendation to, maybe I’ll sacrifice a rail and see if I can do it and make it not look like butt. One more bourbon first.

Thanks for all of the advice, folks.