Trigger cleaning...

Tod osier

WKR
I've read up extensively on cleaning triggers and seen all the perspectives. Dry, lightly oiled, lighter fluid for some mysterious residue it has, but perhaps it doesn't actually have it anymore (if it ever had it).

I have always used a dry solvent like brake cleaner to blow them out and lightly lubricated the moving parts in rifle triggers with breakfree, but feel like I get too much oil where I put it and I never know where exactly to put it. I have never had a function problem with a rifle trigger, I keep them clean. I have no problem with dry as far as function and in concept, but it seems like many triggers have a number of nonstainless parts that I'd like to protect from rust.

I'm wondering about making a very light solution of breakfree and hexane (maybe 5% oil) to drop the trigger in once clean to protect the parts - that would coat everything very lightly, but not add drops of oil. My fanciest trigger is a timney, but I have mostly factory triggers. I'm probably extra paranoid about rust inside since I duck hunt on the saltwater a lot and I have to work hard to keep shotgun components functioning under those conditions.

I'm tearing down any rifle I have every couple to few years to clean, so I'm not worried so much about long term gumming of the breakfree, since I've had great experience in the past. I've not seen a lot of dust or junk accumulate.

Thoughts, comments, dope slaps, link to an authoritative discussion I missed....

LaHunter

WKR
Timney recommends the Ronsinol lighter fluid. This is what I have always used, just squirt it into the mechanism and flush it well and just let it dry on its own. My triggers have always worked properly with this periodic cleaning.
I'm not sure why the lighter fluid works and keeps it lubed, even when dry, but it seems to work well.
Oils will have a tendency to capture fine dust particles and lead to the mechanism not working properly.

rayporter

WKR
ok, triggers will get gum in them for sure. i once bought a 700 in 300 win for 200 bucks that i had to soak the trigger in for a week in solvent and even after that i had to take it apart to wipe each piece down.

many triggers with fine tuned insides [ like a Jewell] can get a speck of dirt in them and all the blowing and lighter fluid wont get it. the only option is to take it apart and wipe each piece.[there are only 4 in a Jewell]
each year i take all the jewells apart and clean-i love em but they require maintenance.

typically you should just be generous with the lighter fluid and air. if you oil you can expect trouble -it may be years and take zero temps, but you will.

Wrench

WKR
If the mfr suggestions are for a product that they don't make, and they don't get a kick back....I'd listen.

I personally use R&O turbine oil and cut it with acetone.....or kroil. I always blow them off/out. I'd do the ronsonol if I didn't have a lifetime supply of my current stash.